Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I'm officially calling out EVERYONE who has HID lights in thier Sportsman!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last couple of pics

Attached Thumbnails I'm officially calling out EVERYONE who has HID lights in thier Sportsman!!-cimg4555.jpg   I'm officially calling out EVERYONE who has HID lights in thier Sportsman!!-cimg4554.jpg   I'm officially calling out EVERYONE who has HID lights in thier Sportsman!!-cimg4553.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Pretty cool AoD.......learned a lot on this thread...thanx to you and everyone. I was looking at the ballasts on the web earlier and it seems the outside of the ballasts are the heat sinks.... maybe see how warm they get with the plastic protection......again thanx to all.....NoJoke

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoJoke
Pretty cool AoD.......learned a lot on this thread...thanx to you and everyone. I was looking at the ballasts on the web earlier and it seems the outside of the ballasts are the heat sinks.... maybe see how warm they get with the plastic protection......again thanx to all.....NoJoke
Yea i dont think i would wrap them up like that as heat could build up. The ballast are waterproof so no need to go through extensive means.

As far as mounting the the ballast fit perfectly between the box and the front radiator support. Almost like it was designed to hold a ballast. Take your front box off and mount the ballasts there. You can actually slide the ballast up in there with the box installed and see how well it fits, you just cant secure it with the box installed. Its the perfect spot...

Also if you do order a kit, go ahead and get the 55w kit... I ordered another hid kit but wanted to see if the 55w was worth the extra 15 bucks. Let me tell you the 55w kit makes the 35w kit look dim. I find you also get a truer color output with the 55w kit. The 6000k bulbs i had were supposed to be white with a slight blue hint. With the 35w ballast the bulbs are pretty blue (almost as bad as the cool blue halogens)... with the 55w kit the bulbs are very very white with the slight hint of blue. Very nice and worth the extra cost. Use a relay kit as to not stress your factory wiring and make the ballast last longer.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Range Rover

Absolutely agree with popo - that's how mine is installed and zero problems with the ballasts. The relay is the only way to go. Search my posts if you want photos.

How can you tell between the 35w and the 55w? I got mine from Burkemotors and think they're the 55w.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

You're 100% correct, in my quest for shock resistance I never thought of the heat generated and how well that packing Styrofoam insulates.

And of course I drop a low beam last night so I must re-think the whole situation and diag a little.

Ah well, replacement parts are CHEAP from that guy on ebay, pair of ballasts he quoted me was only $45 shipped.

Still well worth it to see two states over at night in the trails.

Erik

Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Angel of Death
You're 100% correct, in my quest for shock resistance I never thought of the heat generated and how well that packing Styrofoam insulates.

And of course I drop a low beam last night so I must re-think the whole situation and diag a little.

Ah well, replacement parts are CHEAP from that guy on ebay, pair of ballasts he quoted me was only $45 shipped.

Still well worth it to see two states over at night in the trails.

Erik
I paid on 50 bucks shipped for my entire 35 watt kit from xtreme hids. The 55w kit is 16 well spent dollars more from the same seller. I dont know if these cheap ebay kits arnt putting out the power of the more expensive (not made in china) 35 watt kits, but just trust me the 55w is BRIGHT no matter what. But your right, these kits arnt that expensive to mess one up and learn from it and its well worth it!

MickJp, my ballast have the info printed right on them. They have the input voltage, input amps, and watt output. If yours dont say you could always use a multimeter to measure voltage going in and then measure the amps going in. watts=voltage*amps.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Range Rover

What do you mean you dropped a light?

Every now and then one of mine won't come on if they're switched on when I start the engine. If I turn off and on again they're fine.

It happened once on Friday night with 15 or so stops during a 70+ mile ride.

You're right about the two states over beams - there were 7 quads on the ride with a couple of faster quads but none of them could keep up with me. I can't outrun these lights. It was cool looking back a few of miles watching the lights coming. One buddy has the Polaris upgrade bulbs and they definitely stand out to stock. But when I pull up beside him you can't even see them.

Have I mentioned how much I like these HIDs

popo I've got the 55w - didn't realize there was a 35w kit.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

i just bought the three hid light kit on ebay 140 with shipping

Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

I meant one stopped working, as in 'dropped out'.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Range Rover

ive done some more research on these Chinese hid ballasts and as it appears the "35w" kits are putting out no where near that. 35w seems to be the input power and appartently these ballasts are no more then 80% efficient, which means in the end your only getting at best 28 watts at the bulb, but probably less..

In actuallity the 55w kits are really putting out what a normal 35 watt kit from a reputable (expensive) company like phillips or hella are putting out.

There is apparently some internal modding you can do to overdrive hid ballasts a bit by modifying the interal sense resistors.. . I think im gonna pop open my 35 watt ballast and attempt to make them brighter! We'll see if i dont make some of that magic electric smoke

Quick Reply: I'm officially calling out EVERYONE who has HID lights in thier Sportsman!!