Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1994 Polaris 400

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Polaris 400

Picked up a 1994 Polaris 400 4x4 liquid 2 stroke a few weeks ago. Runs great, only problem is it slips out of reverse if you don't hold the shifter in gear. So tonight after ready to get everything back together after doing some maintance etc. I decided to mess with the linkage to see if it had some give or what the deal was. So I turned it a little bit and tried it and no gears would work. I messed with it for 2 hours and it would go either into high or reverse to work but not both. I tried putting it back to the place it was but drive would not work. After messing around for a while drive was having the same problem as reverse and grinded a little when going in to gear. I finally got drive to work perfect and left it at that...but really want reverse working. It is now acting like the drive gear is really far away from nutral and reverse.

Please help

thanks

Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

Replace the tie rods on the shifter linkage and or the aluminum lever on the tranny. That should fix it. I've been there done that had the whole tranny apart looking for problems. the linkage fixed it. I had a 94 as well. first year of the easy-shift tranny. The replacement lever on the tranny was shorter than the original, making it move the shaft more. Maybe it was a change to fix something or a complete fluke. Not sure

Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
Replace the tie rods on the shifter linkage and or the aluminum lever on the tranny. That should fix it. I've been there done that had the whole tranny apart looking for problems. the linkage fixed it. I had a 94 as well. first year of the easy-shift tranny. The replacement lever on the tranny was shorter than the original, making it move the shaft more. Maybe it was a change to fix something or a complete fluke. Not sure
A lot of 94 400's had the same problem because the shift forks were pinned on the shift shaft and after a while the would get slack and you could get a good forward gear engagement and grinding reverse or the opposite trying to adjust the linkage! A replacement shift shaft with milled shift forks on the shaft in a kit were supplied to the ones that were still in warranty and I replaced a bunch afterwards also. Replacement shafts are milled if this turns out to be your problem. OPT

Old 12-30-2023, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Shift fork

Hi all I have the shift fork problem with my 94 400L. Do you happen to have a shift fork drawing for a machine shop?

Old 12-31-2023, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
A lot of 94 400's had the same problem because the shift forks were pinned on the shift shaft and after a while the would get slack and you could get a good forward gear engagement and grinding reverse or the opposite trying to adjust the linkage! A replacement shift shaft with milled shift forks on the shaft in a kit were supplied to the ones that were still in warranty and I replaced a bunch afterwards also. Replacement shafts are milled if this turns out to be your problem. OPT
Hi all I have the shift fork problem with my 94 400L. Do you happen to have a shift fork drawing for a machine shop?