Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snow Plows - effective?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Yes. I agree with ss97. It's about pushing it back far enough, early in the season.
I also agree that throwing the snow where it gets blown back does get old quick.

I'm in Central New York, we get pounded with Lake Effect snow here. I always thought that ATV plows were toys, until I got a Sportsman with a 60" plow 3 winters ago. I usually plow in the morning before work, and hit it when I get home if need be, and the driveway stays clean down to the pavement all winter. I had a truck with plow, but the ATV is a lot more manuverable and a lot more fun than the truck. I also repair a lot less lawn using the ATV. True, a truck will move a lot more snow quicker, but the ATV definitely gets the job done. I have a good sized driveway 100'X20' so it takes maybe 15 minutes to clear. The deepest I remember last year was about 18" down by the road. The ATV handled it fine.

My 2 cents.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the info from me too.

My wife just told me what my christmas present is (snow plow for my 850) because it came in and she can’t go pick it up in the car. I just wanted one so I could plow my driveway and the end of the cul-de-sac that the city plow never does. But after my wife talked to the a guy at the Polaris dealer that told her that he made $4600 last year doing driveways and some city work she thinks this would be a great way to make extra money. She had already made flyers up before telling me about it. LOL. So what was supposed to be fun for me to do my drive way in 5-10 min while everyone else is busting there buts has turned into a job for me.

How is that a present??? LOL

Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by popoman
The wheeler can not stack a snow bank real high which is important up here in maine. the banks will only get a few feet high and then they will just start building out from there. ....
the hell it cant. I was getting snow banks higher than my head last year. First year plowing, pushed the snow way back since figured I cant stack. Ended up using half the space I anticipated. All you do is lift the plow up about half a foot or better, and give the bank you just made a good hit. It shoves it back, and the plow starts to ride up, thus creating a taller bank. Do this a couple times every time you plow (more if its wet snow) and you will have banks you cant see over. Promise you this... There's a how to video of this on youtube. Surprisingly how simple of an idea it is and works great.

The banks were getting high enough that I could park the atv and plow fully on the slope. Works so good you can actualy shove the snow up the slope and still keep piling snow on top. Only limited I was finding is snow start falling off the sides near the top so wasn't wide enough to drive up anymore. Was fun actually...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Northern MN, have about the same size driveway, a 50x50 parking area, and about an acre of yard that I plow. Still have my trusty Glacier I plow that had a 60" straight blade(now occupying garage space) until I upgraded to a 60" RZR blade. It was used extensively on my 05 800 and is now ready for use on my 09 800. I have been very impressed with it. Taken quite a beating over the years and has never had a breakage or malfunction. Scrapes the driveway nice and once the banks get too high I knock them back with a shovel(great excercise although with the tracks I bought shouldn't be an issue). If anything, it's a worthy purchase to get out on your wheeler in the Winter if you don't use it much then.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I lived in Norther WI, I had a moose angle plow on a polaris 400l 4x4 60 foot three car wide driveway up hill from garage. The worst snow fall I had to plow with it was 18 inches. Was gone one weekend and we had two really good snow falls. By the time I was able to make it home, the temps had dropped and the snow was hard along with also having a 3 to 4 foot snow bank in front of the drive way from plow trucks. I truly did not think the wheeler/plow set up was going to be able to handle it. (Do not try this at home kids) I decided to get completly bundled up, Snow mobile suite glove boots and Helmet. Started wheeler in garage put it in 4x4 dropped and angled plow to the right and hit the snow wide open. To my surprise not only did it get throught the 18 inches of snow but it completely blew right through the snow bank as well. My neibor seen me do it and came out askeing if I had a death wish. He though for sure I was going to jump the snow bank and nose dive into the pavement. It took alittle over an hour to have it completly cleaned down to pavement and back in house having a warm brandy to warm up. My opinion is if you get alot of snow go with a heaver duty angle plow.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TheJcode
the hell it cant. I was getting snow banks higher than my head last year. First year plowing, pushed the snow way back since figured I cant stack. Ended up using half the space I anticipated. All you do is lift the plow up about half a foot or better, and give the bank you just made a good hit. It shoves it back, and the plow starts to ride up, thus creating a taller bank. Do this a couple times every time you plow (more if its wet snow) and you will have banks you cant see over. Promise you this... There's a how to video of this on youtube. Surprisingly how simple of an idea it is and works great.

The banks were getting high enough that I could park the atv and plow fully on the slope. Works so good you can actualy shove the snow up the slope and still keep piling snow on top. Only limited I was finding is snow start falling off the sides near the top so wasn't wide enough to drive up anymore. Was fun actually...
Oh I know you can stack a bit like head on, my brother actually had a ramp built up like your referring too, we both got a kick out of it. but what i was referring to was stacking and controlling the windrows from angled plowing on long stretches... you can only get it so high before the wheeler just starts getting pushed off to the side, just doesnt have the weight. Im not trying to discourage anyone from plowing with a wheeler. It works great, you just need to plan ahead for the entire winter. You also should get synthetic cable for the winch, the steel cable will start to fray from repeated use on the roller fairlead.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Range Rover

That i agree with. After a warm spell that harden the snow a few times over the year I couldn't keep the plow path to my 2 atv wide. Got down to just over one. Can turn all you want to the side but won't push that snow any farther back. Tried straight blading it, and it would just dig the left vertical side of the plow in and twist the atv. This is with probably 1000lbs worth of momentum. 800 dry weight and my 200lbs

Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

Do you use chains on your wheels when your plowing or are they not needed?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TheJcode
That i agree with. After a warm spell that harden the snow a few times over the year I couldn't keep the plow path to my 2 atv wide. Got down to just over one. Can turn all you want to the side but won't push that snow any farther back. Tried straight blading it, and it would just dig the left vertical side of the plow in and twist the atv. This is with probably 1000lbs worth of momentum. 800 dry weight and my 200lbs
lol yep exactly what i was talking about.

Originally Posted by mossyoaker
Do you use chains on your wheels when your plowing or are they not needed?

personally for me plowing i would leave the chains off unless you couldnt move the snow. I feel that a little wheel spin takes any shock out of the driveline when pushing snow into a bank. Just easier on the driveline/belt and everything. My brother doesnt use chains and doesnt seem like he needs them either...

Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

OffRoaded: I suggest you read some of the posts in the "Snowplow time" thread I still think you ARE going to have trouble with wet/heavy snow and your short driveway. Maybe give us a report back next Spring ???

Quick Reply: Snow Plows - effective?