Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First Quiad - 94 Polaris 400 L - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Quiad - 94 Polaris 400 L - Questions

Well just purchased a 94 400 L. Electric start does not work, just clicks and I can hear the Starter making a spinning sound. Is this indication of bad starter possibly? ALso, none of the lights work on the quad. Why would all of them be burnt out at once? Is there a fuse box on this thing? I have read the owners manual, but it doesn't tell me much. Is there a place online with a better maintence manual? The quad starts on the first pull, but seems to rev up and down as it sits and idles. I am thinking the carb needs cleaned. If anyone has some insight on any of these issues, go ahead and throw it my way. Thanks. By the way, this is my first quad so I am basically a newbie on how everything operates, I have always owned snowmobiles, so I am wondering how similiar they are.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. did you check to see if the battery is 100% charged? did you do a voltage check to see if the bike is even charging(should be above 13+ volts when reved up)? if the battery is good you should be able to (w/ the key on)jump the 2 big res wires on the solenoid to see if the starter kicks in. if jumping makes the starter work then the solenoid is bad if not then the starter is bad and maybe needs rebuilding or replaced. the lights all being off and running irraatic might be because the bike is not charging. find out if thebattery, and charging system is woring by using a voltage meter to measure the battery.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, will check that out tomorrow morning. Where is the solenoid located and the starter? Have never worked on a quad, I know what they look like, just wondering roughly where on the quad are they mounted?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

the starter is under the motor the solenoid is in front of the battery

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,
I have a similar problem, when I hit the starter I just hear the solenoid click but as far as I can tell its not sendind current through and the starter isn't turning. I did take off the solenoid and checked it. it does work when 12 volt current is applied to the little red wire and it engages properly. but when its mounted it does no engage. I checked the voltage on the little red wire (on the solenoid) its only about 4 volts when pressing the starter. Im thinking thats the problem but I dont know how to solve it. this just started 3 days ago. and the batary is fully charged.
Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400 l starter problem

My problem ended up being easier to fix than I anticipated. The battery in the quad ended up being faulty. It was less than one year old, but would not hold a charge at all. I replaced the battery and all was good. However, now I have everything replaced in terms of the lights on the machine, but I don't think it is charging the battery, because the other night, my lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer and dimmer as I was riding in from my treestand. When I got to the garage and shut it off, I tried to re-start it and the battery did not have enough charge to turn the machine over. I tested the battery with the machine off and with the machine running and there was no difference in the amount of volts at the battery. I am assuming my charging system is shot. Does anyone know how tough this is to fix? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

There is a set of wires behind the Pull the pull starter cover. those are to your magneto and stator. This is where your system charge comes from. trace them back to the circuit board on the left ("driver side") of your handle bars. if all of them are plugged in. pull off the pull starter cover, pull the fly wheel cover off, clean the magneto, and stator contacts with some emory cloth. You can also test the voltage out of the magneto to see if it is producing any voltage. Brown is always the ground side on a polaris, and I am sure that someone else can tell you the wire color for the hot side. It should read 12 volts or better.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 3 yellow wires coming from the magneto. a stator produces 3 phase ac current. that is fed into a regulator/rectifier that converts it into 13.5v+ dc current which charges the battery. you should test for ac current on all three of those wires then check the regulator for dc voltage as close to the regulator as you can so you know there arent any broken wires/connections between test point and regulator.