Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xp 850 vs grizzly 700 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
popoman I think you are reading a little too much into the EBS thing personally...yes there might be some nitpicking going on..so what,if people weren't critical of the small stuff the manufacturers wouldn't have a reason make anything better.
And as far as your statements about direct drive front ends....I know of at least one that doesn't exhibit any of those negative characteristics...it's front diff is OPEN until one front tire looses traction and then it locks instantly,....it has basically identical characteristics to the Polaris from the riders standpoint,except it has 4 wheel engine braking and a different method of getting the job done.
an open front diff still has adverse handling effects without a center differential when locked in 4wd and while trying to turn(try to turn a conventional 4x4 truck on pavement in 4 wheel drive, which doesnt have a locked front end). The front and rear wheels are trying to turn at different speeds. This is why full time AWD cars/trucks have a viscous coupling in the center diff. how much this affects trail handling in 4x4 on a direct 4x4 i dont know but in theory (nitpicking ) it doesnt help it.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by popoman
. how much this affects trail handling in 4x4 on a direct 4x4 i dont know but in theory (nitpicking ) it doesnt help it.
Not much, if any at all, especially when you have power steering

You can get all the systems in a bind....even the Polaris....just the nature of the beast IMO...especially with the locked rear diffs they all run(except for the Polaris turf mode machines).
Turning radius on my XP was noticably wider in AWD. Maybe we will get that center diff or viscous coupling in the future lol.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
I believe the Kawi system is the only one with front and rear wheel engine braking at any time. Most other systems require you to be in 4wd. I could be wrong though.

How does that work?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Been thinking that over for the last few days. I'm no pencil pusher or mechanic, so I really don't know.

It was one of their selling points and it works. Although I did notice that my Brute and Prairie did not have any engine braking in reverse.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
Been thinking that over for the last few days. I'm no pencil pusher or mechanic, so I really don't know.

It was one of their selling points and it works. Although I did notice that my Brute and Prairie did not have any engine braking in reverse.

I have never heard that before. I know the KEBC is electronically controlled,but I didn't know it had 4 wheel engine braking in 2wd. Interesting,I'll have to do some research and see how they pulled that off. Maybe it engages 4wd everytime it meets the KEBC requirements,speed throttle position ect?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Not much, if any at all, especially when you have power steering

You can get all the systems in a bind....even the Polaris....just the nature of the beast IMO...especially with the locked rear diffs they all run(except for the Polaris turf mode machines).
Turning radius on my XP was noticably wider in AWD. Maybe we will get that center diff or viscous coupling in the future lol.
thats not funny, because its probably true.. haha. it will be the next big thing everyone must have for a 1500 dollar option. These things are gonna be 15,000 in a 3-4 years the way things are going.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by FunRide
Bill....Good point about the dust. Never really though about that relationship or tested it, but it makes perfect sense.

Your brief land description sounds like Maine, but I guess it could be anywhere in the northern tier of the US.
No I live in Michigan up in the upper penninsula. It is alot like maine in that they both have a big logging opperation. Maine is high on my bucket list though for going deer hunting some tday. (Hint Hint for anyone on here from Maine,lol)