Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What to get the wife?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I can see how you'd think a 10 year old girl and a SP 500 would be unsafe, but you haven't seem my girl. She's closer to 11 than 10, 5'-1" tall and weighs 120lbs (her mom in 6'-1"). She's raced tight woods with boys on high powered 2-stroke race bikes with very challenging terrain since she was 4. Her current KTM 65-xc is too small for her and she's board with it. Now, with all that said, you'd probably think I was letting her rip around on the SP 500, but that's not the case. I've trained her to think of a utility ATV as a slower easier riding machine. Besides, both of us are tired of riding as hard as we can, as long as we can racing and with practicing for races. We both want to slow down and do some more relaxed riding. That's why we're getting the whole family into Atving. I know about the weight thing and she is a little light for it. I keep her riding at a slower pace and all those years of banging bars and weaving in and out of trees has defiantly taught her how to lean and apply what weight she has. She's not like most of the better boy racers in that they go fast with "no fear". She has enough fear to make her be a "thinking" rider. She's always very aware of everything around her and she makes consistent good choices out on the trail. She's not the fastest, but less mistakes = less crashes and it puts her in the top 3 most of the time.

I agree that the fit isn't ideal. If I was looking to buy her a new machine it wouldn't be the SP 500, but it makes a lot more sense to me to let her ride what we have, than to go out and buy another smaller machine. I couldn't get much money for a 10 year old SP 500 and a new machine for her would be very expensive. Besides I've looked at the SP 300 and 400. The 300 is a little smaller and weighs only 160lbs less. The 400 is very close in size and is only 112lbs less. Not enough of a difference to justify the cost... Plus she's growing like a weed.. The other thing to consider is the fact that if we did buy her a SP 300, she still wouldn't technically be "leagal"...

Can you see where I'm coming from?
Please keep the comments coming. I value all of your opinions.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Keeping it legal riding the X2 500 would be a nice pick for your family. The second seat is designed much better for kids or short legs because it has the little dump body sides. Have the 10 yr old sit on it then try the Touring and I'll bet she likes the X2 better.

I think a slightly used X2 would run you about $5,000-$5,500.

For illegal riding, the mid-sized Sportsman hits the spot! Go with the 400 over the 300 bc of better tires, 455 engine, liquid cooling for only a few bucks more. But this doesn't help your situation because it's illegal for her to ride it and she and you are going to get busted!

As I see it your big problem is going to be the 3 year old riding with you.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for clearing things up a little bit, RickB. I think we all had visions of a wiry little stick of a girl who would thrash it through the trees at high speed. It seems like you both have a good idea of what you're aiming for. My friend's son still has to have his father cross his quad when they come across streets. He's just following the laws where we ride. It's a hassle for him and his 12 year old son has enough brains not to shoot out when traffic is coming, but it's the law. I wish they made provisions for talent and intelligence. Maybe they've seen too much of the other end.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I didnt know about all the ATV rules until I got my wife a quad in 2004..We all rode dirt bikes and werent affected by the CPSC..Damm glad I didnt get quads when my boys were little(they are adults now). Still its amazing that I can take my 2 yr old g/s for a ride on my CR500, but cant take him for a ride on my Jetmoto 150...(legally speaking of course)

Why not let the little girl ride a dirt bike?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Maybe they've seen too much of the other end.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the problem plus all the manufactures are trying to cover their butts with age limit restrictions. The local laws are just following suit....

It's just disapointing... I guess my family is too young to enjoy these great public trail on ATV.

To answer mywifesquad, my 10 year old could ride a dirt bike (and she will until mom and I get new Popos), but she's tired of bikes and really wants to give ATVs a try. Both of us are just "burnt out" with the bikes.

My 3 year old is to small yet to ride a dirt bike. I want to get her an Outlaw 50 in a year or so. Not so much to ride H&M, but to ride around on our property and get the hang of things.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

What do you all think about the Phoenix 200 for my big girl?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That is probably a much a better match for her riding skills as you described.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

Might be something worth looking at...

It's $3300 MSRP, you think I could trade the '99 SP 500 (less than 1000 miles) even for it?....

Old 10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Is the Phoenix 200 not made by Polaris like the other youth ATVs?

It's looking a little Chinese...
The Honda TRX250 looks nice, but it's a $$$ grand more....

Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RickB
Is the Phoenix 200 not made by Polaris like the other youth ATVs?

It's looking a little Chinese...
The Honda TRX250 looks nice, but it's a $$$ grand more....
I think the 200 is made in Taiwan...certainly a cut above anything made in China..

Makes sense your little girl wants to ride the same thing as mom and dad...You could always buy a used Honda...save a few bucks and still get reliability.

Quick Reply: What to get the wife?...