Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Glacier II plow any good??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glacier II plow any good??????

Well trying to make my decision on a plow The one requirement that I have is for the plow to lift high. I want to be able to have my plow on and load it on my truck with ramps without taking the plow off. I am going to be plowing my parents drive too and they live about 10 miles away that I cant ride too. I was looking at the warn like there mount looks beefier that the glacier. But I contacted the seller on ebay and he said that warn does not make a mount for my 05 500ho yet. Well its getting to be the end of November and I need to get something in the next couple of weeks. I saw some people said the glacier II mount was weak. Whats your opinion of this plow and mount.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 AM
DCT
Banned

The Glacier II mount on my 08' 500 HO was a piece of crap. I bent it up like a pretzel after a few uses. I purchased an Eagle system and it works like a charm. However, it does not have near the lift that the Glacier II does, nor does it have the quick disconnect, so, it's not what you want.

If you are going to get the Glacier II system, I would HIGHLY recommend that you get the mount reinforced. If you do a search in this forum, you will find some info (and pictures I think) on reinforcing the mount.

Also, if your parents driveway is a nice, small, paved driveway, you might get lucky with the Glacier II without the reinforcement... but I wouldn't trust it.

Good luck

Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

If you don't abuse it, it will be fine. There are more people happy with it than ones who are not happy.

There are plenty of brands to choose from though. The American Eagle plow is great. Very heavy duty compared to the Polaris or others. Not sure about the mounts though. I have had the Eagle plow slide off the ears that it hooks to, but not too often. Actually happy with both mounts...the G2 and the Eagle. Haven't tried any others.

If you get alot of snow, I would recommend a higher lift plow like the Moose or G2. Like already stated, the Eagle plow doesn't go super high, but I haven't had too much trouble.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

I've love my glacier plow, I have a 48" and a 60", the ease of mounting and dismounting makes up for any negative you might find. I plow miles and miles of a bikepath plus many driveways and have never bent anything. I have a lift kit on mine to keep the front end up, I've never loaded my on something with ramps but I think it will go high enough. Very well made system.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Question:

How do you keep the winch cable from rubbing the Frontbrush guard tube. I am sure I am not the only one with this problem. Bad enough I have to keep touching up my rear bumper b/c of the trailer gate, lol..lol

Any idears?

Thx,

R'

Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

R, what I did on the 800 was cut about 1/4 section out of a piece of pvc pipe lengthwise. Then I slid it over the tube of the brushguard where it is rubbing and held it there with electrical tape around each end. Use pipe that is the same inside diameter as the brushguard tube. Mine didnt rub too bad and it worked for 4 years until I sold the bike. I used black pipe and it was hardly noticable

Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Range Rover

I am extremely happy with the Glacier II - and, If your looking for good height this is the best I've seen. I pushed a lot of snow in MI the past few years and am very happy. If you want to push rocks and gravel - use a tractor - don't abuse your machine - IMO

Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

This would be for snow only not rocks or dirt.

Thanks
duane

Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a longer set of folding arched ramps loading should be easier. Could load mine in the truck with my glacier 1 pretty easy.

RtickWad- the front brushguard does have some room to adjust. It can be pushed back enough so the cable doesn't rub and the pvc on the tube is great added protection that noooooo mentioned. Just have to fiddle with the brackets until you get it where it will not rub. I've mentioned that design flaw to Popo a number of times.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have the GII and use it hard and it bends easily!!! I'd get a HD brand if I didn't allready buy this one.

Quick Reply: Glacier II plow any good??????