Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch failure

I am starting to have intermittant problems with my winch. It will always feed out when using the power switch but sometimes it will not come back in. I can keepo switching the switch from out/in back and forth and all of a sudden it will work fine. I took the cover off the mini-rocker switch but it seemed like the inside of the switch was completely sealed. Has anyone else had this issue?? I am checking all the connections to look for a bad wire or corrosion but wondering if I should just buy a new mini-rocker switch??

Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Most likely the contactor has got moisture in it and corroded.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

agreed thatthe contact is most likely the culprit going bad. check the connections and if there good then the contacter it self is going bad. replace it and all will be fine. what brand is the winch?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

The winch is a WARN 2500 and it has a relatively new contactor that was replaced with the recall a few years back. I am going to disconnect and clean all of the wires and then see what happens......With it being an intermittant problem and wasn't sure how to try and diagnose..

Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

a good way to check it would be to hook the cables up back wards on the winch it self and if it works when it didn't it is the contacter going bad.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

AHHHH..... The in then becomes the out(which has been working) on the switch... Brilliant. I'll try that as well after I clean all the contacts. Your help is always appreciated Mr. STENDORI!! I was stuck in the mud last year and I had to free spool the entire line and then wind it the opposite way. Definately a pain in the ()&*.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem last winter while plowing. I had to flip the winch switch back and forth to get it to work. Sometimes the cable wouldn't go out and sometimes it wouldn't come in. This year during the recent blizzard, it decided to stop working completly. A buddy of mine, who is a motor head, and I played with the switch and the winch connections and finally the contactor.

Start by removing the contactor from the battery and winch cables. Connect either the blue or the yellow lead to the negative (black lead) and then use a jumper wire to connect the positive (red lead) to the remaining winch wire. You can also swap the wires as one way the winch should wind in and the other way it should wind out. If the winch works in both directions, then the contactor is bad. Contact your dealer and ask if they have a replacement in stock. In my case, my Polaris winch used replacement contactor with part number 2876657. It was $99.99 plus tax. Installed it today and the winch is working just fine. Probably won't snow now for the rest of the winter.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by JSRIII
I had the same problem last winter while plowing. I had to flip the winch switch back and forth to get it to work. Sometimes the cable wouldn't go out and sometimes it wouldn't come in. This year during the recent blizzard, it decided to stop working completly. A buddy of mine, who is a motor head, and I played with the switch and the winch connections and finally the contactor.

Start by removing the contactor from the battery and winch cables. Connect either the blue or the yellow lead to the negative (black lead) and then use a jumper wire to connect the positive (red lead) to the remaining winch wire. You can also swap the wires as one way the winch should wind in and the other way it should wind out. If the winch works in both directions, then the contactor is bad. Contact your dealer and ask if they have a replacement in stock. In my case, my Polaris winch used replacement contactor with part number 2876657. It was $99.99 plus tax. Installed it today and the winch is working just fine. Probably won't snow now for the rest of the winter.
hhhmmmm that sounds like what i said