Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

H.O. is still not H.O.T. despite many attempts to Trick it out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing Works!! My H.O. isn't any faster than my old SP, which I ride with regularly, 'cause I sold it to a bud.
The Frustrating thing is that I can't get this thing going any faster. So far I have the AAEN long duration cam, a reverse cone megaphone exhaust in front of a well-ported out stock muffler, A custom aluminum airbox horn which doubles the area, and required a jet change from 152.5 to 165. I sent back the AAen Scrambler roller clutch, which was a marginal improvement for $4oo. It has a K&N of course, and 44 gram clutch weights and a white spring. I'm not ready to pull the engine and put in a higher compression piston and port it.
My last hope is the Mikuni 40mm pumper carb I should be getting next week.(TM40-6) I do believe these CV carbs are basically lawnmower carburetors and not performance oriented. There has to be something keeping all this other stuff from working, and it may be the CV carb.
I'm about ready to chuck it all and get a DS 650, Cannondale or,,dare I say it,, a Raptor. But then I would be trying to figure out how to make it 4 wheel drive and have independent rear suspension. Somebody just shoot me!! or take away my tools!! or build me something that belongs in this century!! I'm starting to think we are all riding a bunch of crap. I wish the ATV industry/technology would catch up with motorcycles.
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 02-24-2001, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix,

Have you tried talking to HPD yet? I know the parts that we have put on the Scramblers are waking them up and it still uses the CV carb.

Old 02-24-2001, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix,

i thought u were going to get a roller clutch that worked with the EBS from AAEN??

how fast does your HO go?? and how fast do u want it to go?? your not another jack Schultz are u??
hope not

later
jon

Old 02-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

I read your post, just a question. Are you tuning this thing with a tach? You say you have 44 gram weights, with all your other mods you have to be over reving the engine. The power band is very fine on the H.O. engine. Anything over 6500 and your going backwards. I think you would notice a difference by trying 55 gram weights and a helix of 42-38. I have an H.O. with a tach and with 44 gram weights, I over reved. I was running 6900 RPM, believe it or not you have to work the motor harder. It will feel slower but it will actually be accelerating faster. The white spring in the primary should work with that set-up. If you don't have a tach, that would be my first investment. You are better off to slightly under rev then to over rev at all. Just my 2 cents from hours of wrenching myself. I hope maybe this helps.

Old 02-24-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

EXACTLY!

This is why I bought an EPI kit. It is tuned and ready to go!

Fourlix, how 'bout some pics of the snorkel???

Wanna build me one?

Old 02-24-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Puller,

What setup are you running? Jet/weight/mods?

Old 02-24-2001, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

I am running 55 gram weights for normal riding, 58 gram weights for pulling, 42-38 helix, HPD's H.O. primary and secondary springs. The helix came from HPD also.

Old 02-24-2001, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

hey fourlix where ya been? didnt you ever get the 42 carb? there has to be a reason that your HO isnt performing wish i could help

Old 02-25-2001, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the great replies guys, you're the best!! Let me answer a few questions. I sent back the 42mm Mikuni 'cause it wouldn't fit, the cable set up was too tall. They are working on getting me a newly reintroduced 40mm Flatslide pumper which was the old Harley carb, we'll see.
I sent back the AAEN scrambler/roller clutch 'cause I just don't think it was worth $400!! If it had been a $100 for a roller kit it would have been worth it. Maybe somebody out there wants to trade a EBS secondary for a Scrambler secondary, then I would shell out the $100 for the roller kit, but $400 is an awful lot for the little it did.
Building that aluminum airbox horn was a major pain. My Aluminum welding skills are not what they should be. But it doubles the airflow,
and like everything else, I expect the Mikuni to
be the magic bullet which makes it all come alive.
It's pretty cool though, rectangular, made from 1/16" aluminum MIG welded, I have a Millermatic with spool gun. It has a 2"x3" opening, and goes into the airbox at 2"x3.5" It is a tight fit under the seat, and does some cool little wiggles
as it follows the path of the stock item. It would be cool to duplicate it in plastic, but only once this other stuff is resolved. Right now I think the only thing I've gained is gas consumption.
The Sportsman is a Sportsman, plain and simple. The H.O. is a promise not delivered. What extra Power? Where's the Beef?? The gas shocks say " ride me fast". You think you're going faster, but you're not! I can't pull up on my old SP going up these sandwashes, we're both running flat out and dead even.
I think I will go back to the Stock H.O. clutch weights, the 44's may be hurting top end with too much rpm, but that is where I've been looking for power since I have the AAEN long duration cam, which, for $259 does not do much, but it is in and not worth taking out. Fortunately I had a stock cam from my son's EXP for a core, so I still have an extra H.O. cam which might come in handy.

3TV you are right!! I got the need for speed!! I used to race MX & TT in the early seventies, then 4-wheel drives, had 2 Porsches and a Ferrari. Off- road is the only way to go,
tickets and insurance and all. And I'm too damn fat and old for real dirtbikes. But I still want to get back there, and use the H.O.'s ground clearance and 4x4 regularly. Maybe a Raptor with the big A-arms and rear axle, set up with taller tires like the Sportsman's. A desert racer, wider, taller, longer. I bet I could buy it that way. The Raptor has to be the most accessory oriented quad ever made, just right for kooks like me that can't leave well enough alone. And it has reverse. I bet I could rig up IRS on it!!
Time to ride,,,Silly Later,,Fourlix

Old 02-25-2001, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks,

What elevation/jet are you running?

Where is N.R.?

Quick Reply: H.O. is still not H.O.T. despite many attempts to Trick it out.