Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Blazer 250 pipe/silencer help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Blazer 250 pipe/silencer help

Hello,
Looking to add a HPD pipe to my son's 250 trail blazer. I want to use a stock scrambler 400 silencer. I did this setup to a friends 250 about 6 years ago and was surprised at how loud it was. The silencer didn't appear to be tampered with but it sounded as loud as most aftermarket silencers I've heard on these bikes. It didn't make sense to me but he liked the sound and we never tried another stock 400 silencer. He sold it a couple of years ago, so I am unable to try anything with it now.
I liked the overall improvement, but can't have it to loud. RCR and HPD both said they have done this combination and it wasn't much louder than stock, except for the noise off of the pipe. Their comments should be good enough, but I still want to ask if anybody has any experience with this setup and a possible sound clip. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rcr would know for sure as he does alot w/ these bikes. imo

Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, and yes I agree, RCR has always been very helpful. Just wondering if anyone here is using, or used, this setup and could give their insight. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran that pipe and stock 400 silencer and it was not too loud but I liked the FMF Turbine Core II better with that pipe.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ftwflh
I ran that pipe and stock 400 silencer and it was not too loud but I liked the FMF Turbine Core II better with that pipe.
Would you say it was as quiet as a 400 scrambler with a HPD pipe and stock silencer?

What did you like better about the FMF? Was it louder than the scrambler silencer?

Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the 400 silencer it was a bit louder than a stock 400 due to the ting of the pipe.
The FMF has a better sound and is as quiet if not quieter than stock

Old 12-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ftwflh
With the 400 silencer it was a bit louder than a stock 400 due to the ting of the pipe.
The FMF has a better sound and is as quiet if not quieter than stock
I don't believe my 400 scrambler got any louder, for exhaust gas sound, with my HPD pipe using stock silencer over the stock pipe, except for the 'ting' noise of the pipe (which I like and shouldn't cause any illegal noise issues). That is what I was hoping for by hanging the stock 400 silencer on the back of a HPD pipe on my 250 trail blazer. I did find some video of a trail blazer with an aftermarket pipe and the FMF silencer you speak of and it seemed to have a fairly loud exhaust note.
I am mainly concerned about spending the money for a kit and get told it is illegal to ride on the trails because of being to loud and I have the quietest silencer on it. We ride mostly on the Wisconsin trail systems. I haven't seen the WDNR doing any noise checks, but I heard and read that they are and stepping it up. I like a 'mild' sounding 2 stroke, for sure, to quiet gets a little boring.
I am about ready to just go with it and hope for the best, because I like the added power from these kits and I hate to leave anything totally stock.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

can you cut your oem one in half and do some work to it,then weld it back together?? just make sure it's not throwing any sparks out. in my opinion,the piped four strokes are always louder.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 4getful2
can you cut your oem one in half and do some work to it,then weld it back together?? just make sure it's not throwing any sparks out. in my opinion,the piped four strokes are always louder.
Hi, I'm not sure I am following you. This is a 2 stroke and the power is in the design of the pipe. I'm just looking to keep it fairly quiet by hanging a stock 400 silencer on the back of a performance pipe. The stock 250 exhaust pipe and silencer are built as one unit and I don't think I would create anything more than an increase in sound by doing as you mentioned. Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recieved my HPD pipe and clutch kit today. After installing the pipe and stock 400 silencer, I was glad to hear it wasn't any louder than my 400 scrambler with a HPD pipe and stock silencer on it. Has the cool 'ting' sound of the pipe without the real loud exhaust note. Very happy about that. Thanks for any help and sorry to doubt anybody. The 250 that I did the same thing to a few years back, refering to my first post, must have had the stock 400 silencer drilled out inside or something just like a few people suggested to me, I just don't remember it looking like it had been tampered with. Thanks again.