Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ev

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default First ev

Guess I should post in the Ranger section,BUT impressed with this new machine! Sold with in 2 hrs but get to keep until accessories come in. STRONG 30 hp motor,3 power ranges low,max (for most mileage (about 50 miles on full charge) and hi for performance and also has awd. YES the batteries(all eight) are lead acid,but should give up to 5 years service IF maintained properly and charged. Wired in series to 24 volts,then tied into power module which boosts to 48 volts. Motor is direct drive to trans,no clutches! Has built in charger/maintainer,plug in in glove box. Drove it on several steep hills around shop and has plenty of power! Comes with less agressive tires,but not really designed to go mudding. Granted not for every one,BUT this is no over powered golf cart! Built on the ranger 400 chassis. Well thought out,only drawback is the same as GM has had and even the TESLA roadster(with the lithium battery pack) The motors are there and proven,up to engineers to really get the battery technology up to par with the power train! Replacement cost on batteries (gulp: $1000) OPT

Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any guess as to whether or not the batteries are deep cycle marine type?.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes they are deep cycle marine type batteries. Havent had a chance to see the specs though. OPT

Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Drove it on several steep hills around shop and has plenty of power!
OPT, you are a forerunner for sure. These will be the way of the future in the next decade. Direct volage to "electric motors" has more torque than similar sized gas engine. Motors connected directly to the hubs is about as efficient as it gets and there's no transmission issues. This is exactly why a locomotive runs a diesel that generates electricity for the electric motors [diesel-electric]. Maybe that will be the future......a very small and efficient turbo-diesel that's sole job is electric generation for the 4 motors. Now if this design can take a severe beating, we'll have to see. -Can you imagine how easy it would be to turn around, it could literally turn on a dime since you would have control of all four wheels.....sort of like how a hydraulic "motor" works on a zero-turn lawn mower.

Electric = motor
Gas = engine

Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am so happy you posted this here!

I was wondering if the EV's were out yet. FANTASTIC concept. Tell us more!

Have you thought about swapping to a different tire or plowing snow?

How do the 3 ranges differ?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Battery cost after 5 yrs = approx. $1,000.00 ?

What would the cost of gas be after 5 yrs?

5 yrs = 60 months = $150.00 per month (for me). Thats $9,000.00.

EV batteries sound like a bargain.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Good review OPT. I saw a write up in a couple magazines. Not for my 60 mile rides in the hills and waterholes of NH but would be nice if you had a large spread to take care of.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The 3 ranges are low,max,hi range on a switch on the dash!. Low is for pulling and loads as a conventional atv, MAX is for maximum range(around 50 miles),top speed is lowered,HI is just what it means! Has a top speed of 25 mph which is not bad for its size! The owner is going to use it on his ranch and also for hunting! Will see pretty soon how it works as he promised to give us feed back shortly! In my old opinion I think its going to be a battle between electric and hydrogen powered vehicles (hydrogen would allow use of existing technology(namely the automobile,which wouldn't be another major shock to the auto industry if adopted! I know I'm kinda getting off track,but the future is coming at us pretty fast! OPT