Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plow tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well our MD weatherman have now tallied to about 22" or so. So thats alot of snow for us!
We hear the main roads are passable but all these secondary streets are still to be done. Haven't seen any forcast the school closures/delays yet but I bet they will be closed tomorrow and maybe Tuesday as well. Its always the case here with that kind of snow.

As for me, DAY 2 SNOW PLOWING and having more FUN! Okay the feet are coming off IF I can do it, lol..lol. I will also look at the springs and angling too. Great info, and if this thread helps others all the MORE!

Thanks gang will let ya know how we did! Stay warm and enjoy the SNOW! BTW the night riding in 2ft of snow around the neighborhood was AWESOME! Ssshhhhh, lol..lol

Regards,

R'

Old 12-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

So jealous bro... The wife and I talked about buying a plow and basically she talked me out of it..... Cause in her words, "it never snows in MD".

I had her help me shovel all day long...

I'll be ordering a plow set on Monday.

Did you get the Polaris brand? If so, how do you like it?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by CarlR

And speaking of adjusting the plow face forward or back, what exactly would that do? I noticed on mine it's set up pretty much perpendicular to the road surface, but I have about 5 positions to tilt the plow face back. Would this be if you didn't have the power or traction possibly? Or another reason all together?
I too have noticed the different angles that the plow faces have. The city trucksaround here have theirs straight up and down. It looks like the farther back the more it would cut into the hardpack and roll the snow rather than push it to the side. I dont know though.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ATPmike
I just bought a new switch for mine. I got a champion switch set up from Tractor Supply.. Works great. It does come with a kinda big solenoid box though. My ATP has a front rack/box so I was able to mount it in there..
Here's a link to the switch.

Champion ATV Winch Remote Rocker Switch - 1834143 | Tractor Supply Company

Went to TSC and got the same switch today

Hopefully it'll make raising/lowering the plow easier since I won't have to take my hand of the handlebar.

Originally Posted by noooooo
It looks like the farther back the more it would cut into the hardpack and roll the snow rather than push it to the side. I dont know though.
Hmm that could be, I'll have to do a little experimenting I suppose.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Smile

I think your problem is you are having to much fun.

HAHA!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey JesterUSG,

I know what you mean! The flip side of things is that my WIFE had been making all kinds of comments about wasting $500 for buying a plow when the last several winters were mild with little to no SNOW. Any central/south/eastern shore MD'r knows what I am talking about. But me knowing that every several years we get our BIG dump knew better. I really thought last year was going to be the year, since we were way overdue. But I had guessed this year so to speak (littler sooner than I thought) since we had so much rain in the summer and fall and its been lots of precep. Still alot more of winter to go through, so we may get many more smaller snow falls, who's to say? As for me, yes glad I bought the plow. I played LAZY today but hope to get out tomorrow and do some more scraping and plowing on the driveway that we don't use , lol..lol finished the critical parts yesterday and dug out the cars, priority ONE along with a little night riding in 2ft snow, I think I like deep snow riding better than MUDDING!

You guys up NORTH have lots of those opportunities I would think!

As for my plow its the Glacier II Polaris plow system. I would urge you to do your homework and read the threads on here many have complained about the weak frame but then again for those who have had no issues (me, not yet anyways) and those who re-enforced it are very happy with it.

Cheers and thanks all!

R'

Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Hey JesterUSG,

a little night riding in 2ft snow, I think I like deep snow riding better than MUDDING!

You guys up NORTH have lots of those opportunities I would think!
I agree. I rode mud for quite a few years. Real mud, in the swamps, not an atv park, man made ditch, or water hole. The snow is actually more of a challenge and you don't have so much to clean off the atv when you're done. Not as hard on it either. The hard part is waiting for it and a somewhat bearable day as far as temps.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Trailblazer

First of all, here is how you move serious amounts of snow -

Name:  DSC01390.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  WinterwonderlandJinmastyle.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  102.4 KB

By the way, be carefull about driving around in slush on a warm day and then parking where the slush and packed snow on your ATV can freeze overnight.........

Just sayin'.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Range Rover

The different positions on the plow help to control where you put/move the snow. If it was always in the center position, snow would always be falling off of both sides of the blade, causing many more passes to clean up an area.

After the 1st pass it's quicker to push the snow in the direction that you want it to go, like if there's a building on your left, you angle the plow to push it to the right, so you then start close to the bldg & keep backing up and taking you next 3/4 blade width full of snow pushing it to your right & repeat, again & again...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Just keep playing(practicing). When I first set up my Arctic Cat plow I didn't tension the springs enough and it kept folding over, more tension and that went away. I suggest keeping the feet on, if you can pull onto clear concrete adjust them so they keep the plow just off the surface. This keeps the plow from catching on every crack and uneven spot on sidewalks and drives. If you plow over gravel you will definitely want them on. If you are always plowing over gravel, set them a bit higher by 1/2" or so.

I move a bit faster when plowing, it throws the snow out away from the blade and doesn't roll off the ends as bad.

Quick Reply: Plow tips