Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reverse override sportsman xp

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse override sportsman xp

Have any of you xp owners attempted to bypass the reverse limiter on the 850 xp? If so, how did you go about doing it?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I would guess the quadovator products would work like they do on the older sportsmans. I would give them a call or send an email. They are very helpful.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks i will give them a call. has anyone tried to use the four pin relay on the xp's.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

You may know this but unlike the older Sportsman the XP has AWD in reverse without hitting the button. The button only is needed to override the speed limiter. IMO that was a smart move...that was kind of a PITA on the older ones,hitting the button for extra speed never bothered me though so I never investigated overriding it..so my post is of no help to you probably...lol

Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks HO. yea I realize that it is AWD in reverse but was looking to bypass the speed limiter though. you are right it is a good safety feature but if it was safety i was looking for i would have bought a can am.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ts01fan
Thanks HO. yea I realize that it is AWD in reverse but was looking to bypass the speed limiter though. you are right it is a good safety feature but if it was safety i was looking for i would have bought a can am.
LOL...nice
I think I still have the wiring diagrams for the 850 is you need me to refence them.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

HO that would be great if it's not any trouble. Also, what size tires did you have on your xp before you sold it, and was the lift from catvos?

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ts01fan
HO that would be great if it's not any trouble. Also, what size tires did you have on your xp before you sold it, and was the lift from catvos?
OK,the diagrams I have are not from the Polaris manual,so if you attempt to bypass the override make sure you verify the info here with a meter and I test that it works before making any permanent connections. It should be very easy to test,but it isn't something you should attempt unless you have some electrical knowledge IMO. I haven't verified any of this first hand. Ok that is my disclaimer.
The best I can tell from squinting at the diagrams coming out of the override there is a Brown wire and a Green with Orange wire(ECM Pin 60),the brown wire is gound,pushing the button closes the circuit,grounding the green and orange wire which goes to pin 60 on the ECM. You could verify by probing the grn/or wire and pushing the button and checking for ground. My thinking would be to use a relay to only ground the circuit when the gear selector is in the reverse position,so that the rest of the time it functions normally for the pod selection functions. The gear position indicator plug there looks to be 2 violet wires, one,the one next to the orange and red wire, is the reverse position wire. In rev the wire is connected to ground. You could verify by again probing the wire with the meter and checking that it is open in all gears but then connected to ground in reverse. You could possibly use that wire to trigger,ie ground your relay and have the relays output ground the rev override grn/or wire. To be clear you wold only be tapping into wires to do this. Again if you are pretty confident you know your way around electrical systems it might be best to seek out a kit.

I had 32's and the CATVOS lift for a short time before I sold the 850.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

If you drive really fast in reverse should you wear the goggles on the back of your head?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

My ? with this is when i have it in 4x4 and need to back up i put it in reverse now i have 4x4 in revese then press the overide to go faster (for when plowing) but when i press the overide it disengages the fourwheel drive and now i have no limiter in reverse but to get my AWD back i have to press the overide button again. Is this normal? So then if you do the revese overide how will you get it to have AWD and no limiter in reverse. This is on my 09 xp as well.

Quick Reply: Reverse override sportsman xp