Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to the site........

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site........

I'll snap some pics later, my head still hurts from RUINING my latest quad last night!

So I do believe I got the greatest deal in history, ever, period, on my '05 Sportsman 400. One of my customers brothers was renting a cabin last winter & crashed one of the owners quads, so they made him go out and buy a new one! Turns out it was all cosmetic damage!! He smashed the speedo, broke the front cargo box, tore off the rear rack, and cracked a few tabs on the plastics. They also said it didn't idle and believed it was due to some wiring damage, I think it was just the battery because it starts, idles, and runs fine with a new battery. .......... guess how much I payed for it? FYI I believe it has around 1k miles on it, the oil filter had the number 930 written on it.......

I traded it for $1000 in labor at my auto shop!! Hummmmm, work on a car for 15hr's, get free 2005 Polaris 4x4........ DEAL!

So anyways, I warmed it up, changed the oil ($32 for oil & filter, are you FU&*%N kidding me?) and bypassed the cluster wiring for the 4wd, trying to unload it yesterday I quickly found out no speedo = no awd.

So I take it for a ride, WOW, what a BLAST. I've ridden everything under the sun, I even used to have a website called TRX500R.org (Which was a failure because I have no free time). But THIS THING, what an animal, it's so fun to just creep and crawl over or through ANYTHING!

So anyways, at one point I was just CRUISING down a trail, seriously I was going put put style down a snowy trail.......... when all of a sudden out of nowhere..... BAM! I hit a tree stump! At first I thought I only partially knocked the tire off the bead and and smacked myself around...... until I went to move!! Turns out I junked the right front a-arm, axle, and ball joint!!!!

So here I am, out in the middle of nowhere in the muddy wet snowy nastiness with a machine that weighs god knows how much. I had a phone for emergency but no numbers in it, not that I would have been able to get anyone to get me out anyways. Somehow, after taking the wheel off I managed to make it a little ways down the trail ......... until I came to the river......... talk about STUCK. I had to walk home, get a cumalong, and somehow managed to get the thing home before I had to have my feet amputated from frostbite. It was an absolute NIGHTMARE. I really thought I was going to have to leave it there until I could get the parts & fix it in the woods, true story.

Looks like the LTZ250 is going up for sale to pay for the following:

Everything I ruined
Winch
Plow
Camo covers for the plastics, red FTL on a 4x4
Oh and some grips. The grips that come on these things are HYSTERICAL, they look like they are from a 40 year old snowmobile.......

Quick question. I've rebuilt several car CV joints, can I do that for this to get me by for now? $200 for an axle is crazy. I ripped the inner joint apart and at the time wasn't concerned with finding the *****, luckily me and my dog do alot of advanced scent training and we walk down that trail every day, she won't have ANY problems finding every single one of those *****, but I didn't see any inner boot kits when I was looking, does Polaris sell parts individually for these driveshafts? Thanks.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. no they don't sell them individ. amd you have to buythe entire 1/2 shaft. look on ebay, as you might be able to loacate rebuilt ones say from the cv man for alot less money. imo

Old 12-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

EPI offers a cv rebuild kit,cv joint kit, 1/2 shaft, complete shaft, or just cv boots individually for almost all newer machines. www.epiperformance.com or click on the EPI add on this forum to get you to thier site.

Sounds like you had a great deal and even with these repairs you should still be into it pretty cheap.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

well i never ride alone...which is something you may want to consider in those conditions

Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome! Wow, what a story!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by EPIChad
EPI offers a cv rebuild kit,cv joint kit, 1/2 shaft, complete shaft, or just cv boots individually for almost all newer machines. www.epiperformance.com or click on the EPI add on this forum to get you to thier site.

Sounds like you had a great deal and even with these repairs you should still be into it pretty cheap.
Killer! There prices are very good on ball joints as well.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by randymack
well i never ride alone...which is something you may want to consider in those conditions
All my old riding partners are now drug addicts When I go out to the pits on weekends I usually take the YZ250 because trail riding it like a girl isn't fun, but as soon as there is people around I trash the **** out of it. On the polaris I plan to just put around and go through mud, now I'll be MUCH more careful of the wide wheelbase, I think part of it was just being so use to riding that trail daily for the past year either on a dirtbike or the little ltz.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

Call the c-v man800-338-2326 he has heavy duty axles at a better price, as for the a-arm look on ebay, Babbitts has a microfish with prices, can get the ball joint there also, if you heat the strut casting up with a propane torch around the ball joint you can get it out with vice grips and a hammer, have a deep socket ready that fits over the stud and matches the new joint and you can tap it in while its still hot.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

We've all broke something on our quads, you just got it out of the way faster than most do. Still sounds like you got a great deal. And you have a place to work on it most of us would die for.