Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Sportsman 700 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Sportsman 700 electrical issue

My first post here and I am starting it with a question. I have an 03 Sportsman 700 with a winch and plow system with heated hand grips. The hand grips are wired into the DC outlet on the head light. I went out to plow the other day and made two passes on the driveway and the speedo started flashing. I thought low battery but all the lights were flashing and not just the battery. It did this for a couple of seconds and the machine shut down. Now it does nothing. The speedo lights dont come on when the key is turned. I have 12.9v at the battery and to the relay under the seat. I did some searching on the internet and found that the ignition switch could be bad so I took that apart and I dont see any burn signs on it. Is there a way to test this? Any help would be greatly appeciated. We are expecting a storm on thursday night and having the plow ready to go would be nice. Thank you.

Josh

Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone have any ideas on where to start with this thing? I know electrical stuff can be voodo but I dont want to start throwing parts at it until something works. I know the kill switch is in the on position but the machine acts as if power is cut. When the key is turned to the run position nothing is powered, not even the winch switch.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you check the fuses?

just checked and it has fuseable links and circuit breakers in the harness. most likely your drawing too much power.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I found the circuit breakers (one for the fan and the other goes to the ignition I think) Where would the fuseable link be? Thank you

Also, if the ignition switch was bad, would that not allow power to travel any where?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you would still have power going up to the switch either way. did you find the fuseable link? i'm guessing it will be somewhere betweeb the battery line up to the switch. imo.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am at work right now. I'll check when I get home in a bit. Thank you for the help.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

Fusible links are right off the solenoid from the battery side. Mine (EFI) has three of them located there...just spent two days on the electrial issues myself...feel your pain. it does sound like you are drawing to much. Get a multi meter and place on the battery. start running all the accesories and look to see if it drops on the guage

Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

Check for power at the Kill switch also...bad wire fried mine and the kill switch is what allows the power at the key to turn on the accesory side so the display will light up

Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Didnt get to look at it last night. We had some bad wind chill here last night in upstate NY. Im off for the next four days so I will look at it.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Check the relays under the hood. There should be 2 of them in sealed black pouches.

Quick Reply: 03 Sportsman 700 electrical issue