Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Former Sportsman 500 owners now gone 550XP

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former Sportsman 500 owners now gone 550XP

Well it just seems that there are many dominate XP threads with chit chat about XP's Vs. older style w/r on how superior the 850XP is over the 550 etc. mixed with all the recall talk. No issues there!

But...

I just wanted to change a little pace here and gain some insights from former Sportman 500 operators who bought the newer XP550. Can you share your pros and cons comparing the older long running 500 class Sportsman to the newer 550XP? What have you observed in power and handling? And can you describe your view points on what would you change and what would you keep?

Thx!

R'

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I own a 2005 Sportsman and have ridden the 550 XP. Steering (without power steering) is much lighter than the older sportsmans. The power is slightly better but much quicker throttle responcce. Machine feels lighter/more nimble on tight trails. Not worth the money difference to upgrade in my opinion.

Bad Ponits - No pull starter and terrible stock tires.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Trailblazer

Comparing the old style sportsman to the XP series I would take the XP hands down. I'm in agreement with Weedy (previous post)the bike feels lighter and is certainly more nimble on the trails. Due to the steering geometry there is a better ride quality and ease of steering vs the older models. The fact that it is not as wide at the fuel tank I especially like as. I can lean on the bike a lot better and the position of my legs when seated is much more comfortable. In regards to power well your only going to get a little bit more Horses as there is only a small difference in engine cc size. Most folks I think were expecting a huge difference that's not the case.

The biggest drawback I see is the price of the machine. For all that is being provided I do not think its worth that much. Maybe that is why there is more 850 owners out there instead of 550

As for tires personally I don't think the stock ones are that bad as I've gone through some pretty deep mud pits with my XP basically if you got the extra money then sure why not buy better but for the most part stock tires get the job done.

One last thought is the power steering option. Again my opinion is this is such a huge waist of money. Unless your running tracks or have an injury to your shoulder I see not point with this option. With the new steering design I believe it is very easy to steer at any speed.

Hope this helps

Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The xp550 has a 15% power increase over the 500 which is large when your talking about 35hp and 40 hp machines,it takes alot of money to gain 15% believe you me.

The only thing I could not get over at our Polaris/Suzuki and Arctic Cat "all in one dealership" was the XP550 cost $200 more then a 750KQ and $1500 more then the new 550 AC.

The 750 KQ has a 25% power increase over the 550 for $200 less,and the KQ has the main options like Dif lock,IRS,EFI,Low range and optional power steering though the KQ I was looking at did not have it.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good info. guys so it seems that many became BIG BORE owners due to the power match and the cost diff. I will admit for $1300 that is quite a power jump Vs. the old classes of SP500-700 for about the same price

But here is where I stand IF the 550XP performs better and is superior in trail handling I maybe less prone to Big beefy power that the 850 delivers.

I can say that as a 800 owner! Yes the power is nice when you need it but really my friends 500 and cuz 700 has done everything mine has. Pull thru the deep stuff. pull others out the same, tow, haul, complete the same trails, etc. etc.

Regards,

R'

Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by RticKwad

I can say that as a 800 owner! Yes the power is nice when you need it but really my friends 500 and cuz 700 has done everything mine has. Pull thru the deep stuff. pull others out the same, tow, haul, complete the same trails, etc. etc.

Regards,

R'
None of you are riding hard enough then. I'm not saying I'm the best rider or even close, but have ridden with plenty of 500's and Grizzlies with my true big bores (brute 750 and the XP), and they just can't keep up most of the time. Maybe your trails are much different though. Maybe it's useless having high powered machine. I don't know, just stating my experiences.

On the other hand I have ridden with Rincons and a few Grizzlies that could leave me in the dust.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea I was speaking more about Power than speed. But all true. heck my nephews 20yrs old Sports Honda Fourtrax will whip me from shoot out only if I have the length will I catch up an then smoke him, lol.. By then we run out of field and got to brake HARD or you will hit the ditch and highway (Not a good thing) FUN thought at times, lol..lol

Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

No pull start? Looks like there is one from the Polaris web site, hmm strange!

R'

Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chad1903
As for tires personally I don't think the stock ones are that bad as I've gone through some pretty deep mud pits with my XP basically if you got the extra money then sure why not buy better but for the most part stock tires get the job done.
I've got no problem with the stock tires either. I ride on dirt trails a lot in and out of the woods and they work great for me. Also taken them in some mud and was OK with them. I'll take them off at some point soon, but don't feel the need to get them off, as if they're diseased.

One last thought is the power steering option. Again my opinion is this is such a huge waist of money.
Love the EPS, but I run tracks. Likely could live without it, but it sure is nice for utility work and tight locations....3-point turns, etc. Not a waste at all IMO.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

One last thought is the power steering option. Again my opinion is this is such a huge waist of money.
Negative there ghost rider. for some it may be a waste of money, considering polaris is now charging like $1200 msrp more for the option, but its amazing. anything that makes me not hurt and want to get back on the very next day is worth it.

im a big guy, about 6' and 250lbs or so, and my 800 on stock tires beat the living crap out of my shoulders doing anything other than a straight line.

but this is just my opinion, didnt test the non-eps unit so it may be leaps and bounds over the older sportsmans

Quick Reply: Former Sportsman 500 owners now gone 550XP