Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EPS for ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Polaris system is less sensitive at high speed. Good feature. Luv the EPS.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

Don't ride a power steering model if you don't plan on buying one It will be very difficult for me to ride something without. I agree with everything that 05twin700 said just the exact opposite. I don't think the XP is in the same league with the Grizz. The Grizz is much more nimble and easy to handle and I actually thought the XP seemed way to light at higher speeds and the Griz nice and tight. I could care less about top speed once you get over 55-60mph. At more then 100 pounds lighter the Grizz just seemed to me to be more fun to ride. Just goes to show that you need to ride them to see where your preference lands you.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kfp673
Don't ride a power steering model if you don't plan on buying one It will be very difficult for me to ride something without. I agree with everything that 05twin700 said just the exact opposite. I don't think the XP is in the same league with the Grizz. The Grizz is much more nimble and easy to handle and I actually thought the XP seemed way to light at higher speeds and the Griz nice and tight. I could care less about top speed once you get over 55-60mph. At more then 100 pounds lighter the Grizz just seemed to me to be more fun to ride. Just goes to show that you need to ride them to see where your preference lands you.
i can respect what you say. i dont ride at very high speeds anyway. however (with the exception of the crappy terathons on the XP), add some decent tires and wheels and skid plates that the sportsman's usually have and then see the griz's weight come up some. those crappy stock tires (at least my buddy's 07) were supposed to be 25" barely measured 23" with 8psi in them. they were very light.

now that being said, i do like the griz in a couple of different ways:
1. 4 wheel disc brakes with separate handles for front and rear.
2. larger gas tank
3. 4 wheel drive system is one of the best

things i dont like:
1. i hate the ape like handle bars
2. not the greatest lights, not bad, but not great
3. the seat. its cushy but i pretty much had to ride on the gas tank due to the handle bars
4. its very tippy feeling. (when my buddy added spacers and 27" mst's it felt much better)
5. color selection (no black on the 10's, but thats a personal choice)

that being said, you cant go wrong with either one. with only about 18mile son the Xp, i need more seat time

Old 01-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 05twin700
i can respect what you say. i dont ride at very high speeds anyway. however (with the exception of the crappy terathons on the XP), add some decent tires and wheels and skid plates that the sportsman's usually have and then see the griz's weight come up some. those crappy stock tires (at least my buddy's 07) were supposed to be 25" barely measured 23" with 8psi in them. they were very light.

now that being said, i do like the griz in a couple of different ways:
1. 4 wheel disc brakes with separate handles for front and rear.
2. larger gas tank
3. 4 wheel drive system is one of the best

things i dont like:
1. i hate the ape like handle bars
2. not the greatest lights, not bad, but not great
3. the seat. its cushy but i pretty much had to ride on the gas tank due to the handle bars
4. its very tippy feeling. (when my buddy added spacers and 27" mst's it felt much better)
5. color selection (no black on the 10's, but thats a personal choice)

that being said, you cant go wrong with either one. with only about 18mile son the Xp, i need more seat time
No arguments here other then the weight. I ride the 550 Griz but I beleive it is something like 150lbs difference between the 700 and the 850XP which is alot. As for your other points you are correct. The first mod I made to my Griz was a new set of bars with ROX risers. They are great and give you 2 points of adjustment. As for the tippy feeling you can usually cure that by adjusting the rear suspension a few notches. Factory is set pretty soft, however offset wheels or spacers as you said make it much better. Color's- I have a Black 2009 so we are on the same page with that one Like I said I think it is just preference. I rode the 550 and 850XP and don't get me wrong they are very nice machine's, I just prefered the Yamaha in the end. No doubt that the 850 motor has some ***** though! As for the seat, I love the seat but that is again after the new bars and risers. I think the EPS can be gotten used to on either machine. I thought the XP was a bit soft but if I rode it a few more times I think I would get used to it. The only thing that I think is complete BS from Polaris is the way they talk about the engine brake being the "greatest". IMO it is WAY to slow down hills and only brakes the rear wheels. I have seen Polaris's sliding sideways down steep inclines because the *** is dragging. The Yamaha will go down twice as fast and even at that I usually have to tap the gas. Enjoy your new ride and put some miles on that bad boy! By the way... At the same time as I bought my Griz I bought my wife a Suzuki 500 King Quad with EPS so I am not 100% partial to Yami. That is a nice machine and rides very similar to the Yami but sits a little closer to the bars and rides a bit softer which was better for her.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kfp673
I thought the XP was a bit soft but if I rode it a few more times I think I would get used to it. The only thing that I think is complete BS from Polaris is the way they talk about the engine brake being the "greatest". IMO it is WAY to slow down hills and only brakes the rear wheels. I have seen Polaris's sliding sideways down steep inclines because the *** is dragging. The Yamaha will go down twice as fast and even at that I usually have to tap the gas.
Agree with you on both points (if by soft you mean the suspension). Im not an expert on atvs by no means, but the XP felt like it was dipping in the front end everytime i turned it. I have adjusted the rear 1 click and front 2 clicks but havent been able to ride it yet to see if it helped any.

as for the ADC, both polaris and Yamaha (all manufacturers for that matter) put out a lot of crap in their promotional videos. i have never had a problem with polaris' EBS or Yamaha (what little i have ridden the griz and from seeing how my buddy rides it). my 800 sporstman was a little to aggressive for my taste, the XP seems to be a little bit better.

the thing i hate is polaris made a big deal about 4 wheel disc brakes on the 09 XP then went back to the 3 wheel setup on the 10. Lame.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for lots of good information. I think test riding them all is in order. What a way to spend the day!!!! Thanks guys,great forum.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not sure on the water skip, but it was fun to watch!!!