Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EPS for ATV

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS for ATV

Is the EPS on the Polaris ATV's similar to Yamaha and Suzuki? I been giving the idea of EPS on the next one I get and would like to know more about them. Did I hear the Polaris EPS is actually an automotive type Electronic Power Steering unit? Fiat??? How is the EPS at higher speeds? Appreciate any feedback. Got an 04 Eiger and leaning towards Suzuki for next one too. Got a great dealer in Grantsburg, WI. Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

It has been said over and over again that the EPS Sportsman has a better system than the competition, with maybe the exception of the new CanAm DPS. Most say the non EPS sportsman is closer to the yamaha and suzuki. Couldn't tell you first hand though. Not a big deciding factor IMO.

Welcome. I used to go to Grantsburg every year for their watercross on snowmobiles. They still do that?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I think all of the power steering units for ATVs are sourced from the same parts supplier. I believe the company is called Motion Research or something like that. The company probably has a basic unit that it tweaks and modifies for each manufacturers specifications. The part built for Can-am, Polaris or Yamaha may look quite different but they're likely coming out of the same plant and have the same basic parts and design internally.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:53 AM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by a308hunter
Is the EPS on the Polaris ATV's similar to Yamaha and Suzuki? I been giving the idea of EPS on the next one I get and would like to know more about them. Did I hear the Polaris EPS is actually an automotive type Electronic Power Steering unit? Fiat??? How is the EPS at higher speeds? Appreciate any feedback. Got an 04 Eiger and leaning towards Suzuki for next one too. Got a great dealer in Grantsburg, WI. Thanks
a308hunter,

I have trail ridden both the 850 EPS and a Grizzly 550 EPS. They are not the same, and the Suzuki is similar to the Grizz (as I've been told). The term "better" depends on the rider, and where he/she rides, or what he/she does with the quad. No question that the Polaris system has more "assist". I prefer the Yamaha system, as the Polaris provides to much assist for my liking, but again, that's me. Plus, the Yamaha system is tried and proven. I actually prefer the non-EPS XP to the EPS XP.

To be honest, I think the Can Am system has the edge over all of them with the ability to flip a switch for low assist, or high assist... very nice feature.. However, I've yet to try that system in actual trail riding situations, just a test drive.

Keep in mind that the reliability of the Polaris system and the Can Am system have yet to be proven. Give them 3 or 4 years and see if they hold up like the Yamaha system. If ANY of them break out of warranty, it will be an EXPENSIVE fix.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a very good point^^

Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DCT
a308hunter,

I have trail ridden both the 850 EPS and a Grizzly 550 EPS. They are not the same, and the Suzuki is similar to the Grizz (as I've been told). The term "better" depends on the rider, and where he/she rides, or what he/she does with the quad. No question that the Polaris system has more "assist". I prefer the Yamaha system, as the Polaris provides to much assist for my liking, but again, that's me. Plus, the Yamaha system is tried and proven. I actually prefer the non-EPS XP to the EPS XP.

To be honest, I think the Can Am system has the edge over all of them with the ability to flip a switch for low assist, or high assist... very nice feature.. However, I've yet to try that system in actual trail riding situations, just a test drive.

Keep in mind that the reliability of the Polaris system and the Can Am system have yet to be proven. Give them 3 or 4 years and see if they hold up like the Yamaha system. If ANY of them break out of warranty, it will be an EXPENSIVE fix.
I would agree with this. I recently purchased a 550 Grizz over the polaris after riding both. The Polaris has WAY too much assist... So much so that I felt that I did not have nearly the control that I had on the Yamaha or Suzuki. Polaris puts stickers all over their machines in the show room boasting the fact that you can just turn on the key and it is easy to turn. That seems good on the show room floor but when you ride it it seems so soft that it feels easy to loose control. The Yami and Suzuki (and I would assume Can-Am) have a system that still allows you to have more feel to your steering, kind of like a sports car steering vs. a big old station wagon. JMO, but I would go with the Yami or Suzuki...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have to chime in with a question. I have never rode a quad with EPS and not sure I understand the need. But being in the market for a new 2-up in the future I am very interested. Do these systems reduce fatigue bouncing through the trails and rocks, or is it simply reducing the effort to turn the wheel. I undestand the 2-ups can range from 700 - 1000 lbs, but still not sure I would need (or want) the assist. Before I make the plung with or without I want to be informed.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by xcitmt
Before I make the plung with or without I want to be informed.
Give it a try...I would not go back to non-EPS. The XP EPS works great with tire and tracks and I have no problems with the level of assist. And yes, I've ridden the "Grizz" more than once. You like Yama, buy it. You like the Polaris, buy that.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

with only 18miles on my XP i can only give a limited opinion. i have also put about 20-30 miles on a Grizz in west va. i have no experience with can am

with that said both EPS's are very good. i would never ride a Utility quad without it again. that being said i prefer the XP eps over the griz, esp since i plan on going to a larger tire. the griz with 27" MST's just soaked up the bumps but i personally felt the steering was to light and felt scary at higher speeds, but still loved the eps

the xp does have more assist than the griz but it is supposed to give less assist at higher speeds, which it seems to do. with the larger tires that i will be putting on, more assist will only help to soak up the trails.

there are other things about the griz that i didnt like and that is the reason i went for the xp, but you cant go wrong with either machine. the griz is almost not in the same league as the xp though.

i think can am might be the next big thing with the min/max setting they have.

in short, Yes eps is worth it.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both. I have driven my Non EPS about 800 miles. I have put 140 miles so far on my EPS and must admit you really can not tell the difference unless you are standing still. When driving they both react the same. But I prefer the EPS for around the home low speed work like pulling the lawn sweeper & thatching. I have not tried the plow with it yet but it sounds like I will have a opportunity tomorrow. The non EPS with the plow worked great & the steering was also great vs the older Sportsman units.