Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP back from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was not on the recall list, so they only did the one sloppy side....I think we've not heard the end of this.[/QUOTE]

What was you build date which excluded you from the recall? I have a loose top left side with a build date of 11-19-08 which is also not on the list.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you guy's were able to get your bikes back and hope there are no more recall's. I brought mine in this morning for the front end recall. Mechanic said it should be ready Monday PM. 3 week's for axles and 3 day's for front end. Cutting into my riding time for sure!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mongrol
Both sides are included in the recall. Manditory to change both sides my dealer said.
Mandatory to change what parts mongrol? I was at the dealer today they said they will replace bolts only first.Dealer didn't say to me it was mandatory to change out the knuckles if there is no movement.This is the way I look at it if the two pinch bolts and the two caliper bolts ether have been factory over torqued or under torqued or faulty bolts to allow movement thus creating fracture in the knuckle causing the knuckle to fail. The only way to verify this is to do a visual check or xray of the knuckle for a crack or dial indicate the tie rod ends for movement then they should replace the knuckles. Mine is going in for this recall plus the EPS wont assist at idle turns hard till you get moving.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

gaspumpcity..I have an 09 550 XP with an EPS issue. On a ride it became very hard to turn and had a ratcheting feel in the handlebars. It got better the next day. On occasion mine will be hard to turn at an idle (on a slick concrete floor) but gets easier when moving. The EPS hot light on the left side of the instrument cluster has come on a couple of times within 5 minutes of riding in 25 degree weather. Additiinally, the check engine light came on a couple of times but never stayed on. I was able to toggle through the diagnostic mode when it was running and wrote down the code. I took it to a dealer and they advised that the code I wrote down doesn't exist and they weren't able to pull any codes because the check engine light didn't stay on. When I turn the key to the on position you can hear loud noises coming from the EPS unit. Dealer told me this was normal. Others on their showroom floor don't make the same noise mine does. I even had a technician listen to it. If you put your hand on the EPS unit with just the key on you can feel the unit "vibrating" a lot. Good luck on finding out what the problm is. None of the dealers I have gone to/spoken with say they have seen any EPS issues. Please let us know what they find.....

Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Just going by what the dealer told me about the recall. Maybe padding the bill? I don't know.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mtn Boy
gaspumpcity..I have an 09 550 XP with an EPS issue. On a ride it became very hard to turn and had a ratcheting feel in the handlebars. It got better the next day. On occasion mine will be hard to turn at an idle (on a slick concrete floor) but gets easier when moving. The EPS hot light on the left side of the instrument cluster has come on a couple of times within 5 minutes of riding in 25 degree weather. Additiinally, the check engine light came on a couple of times but never stayed on. I was able to toggle through the diagnostic mode when it was running and wrote down the code. I took it to a dealer and they advised that the code I wrote down doesn't exist and they weren't able to pull any codes because the check engine light didn't stay on. When I turn the key to the on position you can hear loud noises coming from the EPS unit. Dealer told me this was normal. Others on their showroom floor don't make the same noise mine does. I even had a technician listen to it. If you put your hand on the EPS unit with just the key on you can feel the unit "vibrating" a lot. Good luck on finding out what the problm is. None of the dealers I have gone to/spoken with say they have seen any EPS issues. Please let us know what they find.....
I guess from what you said when the check engine light came on the ECM didn't set a code it seems to me it should record the code in history to be looked at.Could be polaris can only read active codes will ask tomorrow. My machine does not set a check engine light and if it did I not sure how to toggle my way around to see it(maybe you could explain how to! My machine has no assist with just the key on then after I start it and drive forward a little it seems to work(could be its just an idle rpm related hope so).I have looked in the service manual it says EPS unit is non serviceable so maybe yours has low voltage to the steering box.My machine is under warranty too it will get fix right or else!

Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

gaspumpcity...The dealer told me that unless the check engine light stays on it willl not set a code. Intermittent issues will not set a code and they can not pull any informatiion. I can't recall how to toggle through to get to the diagnostic portion..but if you have the service manual it will tell you how. I can't remember if the smaller owner's manual tells you how to get to it. I don't have access to my manual right now. I have cleaned the battery terminals and cables and checked all of the grounding connections...all have been tight.

Good Luck...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

The owners manual shows how to get the codes and what they are.

Mtn Boy, your dealer is right. The codes are not stored.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Today I returned with my machine Dealer did the bolt swap on the knuckle.They showed me the gold bolts that were going in (old bolts had the same markings on the top) so Im assuming its a bolt problem or torque problem not a knuckle problem(check previous post) MY EPS problem! Dealer is aware they have another machine in the service area with the same problem that Im having its waiting on a new steering box. The head mechanic thinks its not the box but the sensor that controls the motor inside the box. Dealer put me on hold (week or two) till they see if the new box from polaris takes care of his problem old box goes back to polaris for failure analysis. Just a heads up get those bolts changed out before it takes out the knuckles.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lovmudd
What was you build date which excluded you from the recall? I have a loose top left side with a build date of 11-19-08 which is also not on the list.
Not sure, but it is similar. Too cold to go out and check