Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Popo 500 ho ice capades check this out

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
I've camped on Dunmore Moose. That is such a sad story. I keep imagining being under 20' of water trapped under a snowmobile, or trying to get out from under the ice and unable to break through in 30 degree water, gasping for breath...wondering if your daughter wife, niece, is alive....pure terror until you fade away. It's just heart wrenching to imagine the last few minutes for this family. Really, really makes me think twice about going out onto ice on my machine; regardless of how safe it appears on the surface. Be frickin' careful.
Yeah, I had a similar thought. The few times I've been out on a snowmobile I stayed where there were established tracks. If I wanted to open it up I preran the area I wanted to go in order to check out weaknesses and ice ridges. It can all go bad so fast that it's not worth it to me to bomb around on areas I don't know. They had 3 people on each sled. 5 went into the water and 2 got out. The mother of one of the children managed to throw off one of the kids before her machine went under. My hat's off to a mother like that... Not enough parents like that in the world today.

I've been in water that cold before and can tell you that your survival is measured in minutes if you can get out. You're actually better off stripping off the wet clothes and standing there naked than keeping the wet clothes on. You cool something like 20 times faster in wet clothes than just your skin. We usually walk the ponds where we ride to check ice thicknesses. And we always have spare clothing, lighters, and a way to make warm beverages to bring up core temperatures.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lunacy all the way, it took me half of last summer to get over bruised ribs from my POPO slamming me to carpet while I had it spinning that way, I wont ride harldy anymore with the new helmet on, As the side of my head also got Dinged, Just when you think you got it mastered---- it up and bites You everytime.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The few times I've been out on a snowmobile I stayed where there were established tracks.
I read they were on an area that had tracks not of their own making, so they though it was safe. Way too many people on the sleds though.

Man, I just keep thinking I could push off my passenger and bail before I got dragged under. It must happen like a flash. You've got two seconds to react and make the right decision.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

My guess is that they were not traveling fast enough to skim over the weak section and the people before them were. They were probably travelling very close to each other or the second sled would have had time to react. Spacing is really important on sleds. Still, I can't imagine being in a family that loses 3 members like that.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Trailblazer

Cool! Looked like fun. Here's one I saw on YouTube ... Two Wheeling

Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by mdvctry
Cool! Looked like fun. Here's one I saw on YouTube ... Two Wheeling
More talented than I to put it mildly.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are very brave do them that fast close to the dirt/land.......
Up here in Canada we have the WHOLE lake ............
Just be carefull out there that's all ....But have fun too!!!..........Caper........

Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

and no..no helmet and no thermal gear..been ridding for over 26years and always rode motocross..so this 500 Ho IS NOT really anything to me....I have said many times i know this area where i was ridding and it is NOT over knee deep...I've known this area for over 15 years..i could ride this in the dark with no lights.. kinda like u tryn to find the bathroom in the dark in ur house..u just know where it is.......

Old 01-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

That will be about the last riding around Lake Ouachita. New MVUM has all areas around lake closed.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

GH,

Understand your senior level ATV expertise, while we admire your awesome abilities and really cool (it is, lol) video of the dare devil ice donuts, we are your forum buddies and care! Understood no thermal gear required, but man please please where that helmet when doing stunts like that you make my skin crawl with even the thought of you coming off that thing at those spinning speeds. Please live un-injured to give us another 26years of great videos!..:-)

Quick Reply: Popo 500 ho ice capades check this out