Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Up in flames

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up in flames

Took my 05 Sportsman 700 out in a snowstorm last week. It started overheating so I stopped for awhile, when I stopped Antifreeze hissed out of it. Thought maybe it was an overflow. Let it cool down for a bit. Rode it home, was flashing HEAT again, got to my garage, shut it off, and POOF, the whole front end went up in flames!!!!! Ran in and grabbed the fire extinguisure and put it out!!! CRAZY!! Checked it out next day and only found a plastic "T" addapter for the coolent lines melted with a hole in it. All wires I could see were fine. never pulled plastic. It started right up to get it in the garage. So, anyone have any idea why it caught fire? Or anything else I should look for? Thanks...

Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

wow. i really don't have an idea why it caught fire. never even happened to me yet. maybe someone here can shed some light on that one.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats why you never run one when it's overheated. your lucky you didn't warp the head or blow the gaskets. imo

Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Even as brief as the fire was, it may wind up hiding the cause of it. Could have been a shorted wire, either from rubbing, or from the anti freeze bath they might have taken. You may find out more when you get the plastic off.

Good to hear you caught it quickly. Could have been a lot worse for the quad, the garage and anyone in the house.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

If it were me after an unknown fire like that, until I found the problem it sure wouldn't be in my garage...JMO.......

John

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Antifreeze has ethylene glycol in it, it is flammable. You were the one in a million instance where you had the right mix of air, antifreeze, and ignition source-hot exhaust, or engine.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Check all fuel lines and electrical wiring.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Wow, I didn't KNOW that our Anti-freeze was flammable? Sure? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what it was designed to do, keep heat down?

Anyways, YES disconnect your battery and maybe that ECM. Didn't those ECM's getting passive charges from the battery cause fires too? I know that is not what you said, but while its sitting in a vulnerable state, like JCD and HL say, check all wiring, maybe scoot that thing out of your garage of where it is that is close to yours or someone elses dwelling. -- IMO

Scary, Scary and while you are looking for all the answers thank you for informing us, could we see any fire threats to our Sportsmans factoring mixing all the right ingredients/conditions?

Thanks,

R'

Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by buckzuki
...So, anyone have any idea why it caught fire? Or anything else I should look for? Thanks...
Yeah, next time push it out of the garage and let it burn. You've got insurance on it right

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, antifreeze will ignite, especially if it's vaporizing (leak when hot) and directed towards a hot exhaust pipe or engine, like someone said earlier the right mixture

gates

Old 01-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well I would consider you all better experts on the subject than me it just seems troubling to know the chemical compound that cools our engine from the extreme heat in the RAD is flammable and just less than a foot from a gas tanks. I guess the same is true with our cars and what not?

Front end crash could be a more explosive event then considered? Puts a whole another spin on our dangerous sport of ATV riding. Interesting!

R'

Quick Reply: Up in flames