Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

100 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any business that works on labor (not just retail) budget's for down time.

This thread is just an example of how many people love to enjoy cheap prices for themselves, and don't care much about the next guy. Very selfish, IMO.

With dealers selling machines at $300 over cost or at cost (like most people want), where do you think they make money? You want them to stay open, right?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Roofer
Any business that works on labor (not just retail) budget's for down time.

This thread is just an example of how many people love to enjoy cheap prices for themselves, and don't care much about the next guy. Very selfish, IMO.

With dealers selling machines at $300 over cost or at cost (like most people want), where do you think they make money? You want them to stay open, right?
THANKS! You took the words out of my mouth! YES between cost and $300 is pretty accurate during these times in this economy! Plus we still do give labor/parts discount on a lot of faithful customers! Step into our shoes and you can see way past labor rates! OPT

Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

The couple times that I had to bring my machine in I tore down all the plastic etc in my garage. This saved me some $ on the hourly rate. It was actually suggested to me by my Polaris Tech - yes, Best mechanic and customer service Polaris dealer I've ever seen. IMO...Jeff
The salesman is an idiot but the Service keeps me going back, Lol.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Well I can say without a doubt that sometimes those outrageous prices $90/hour of labor is not overhead all the time. This small Victory Polaris shop in Annapolis,MD are crooks and his high prices, incompetencies, poor salesman and crappy service has made alot of customers go over state lines. (WVA)

The WVA dealership is Awesome and their rates are $55/hour. They really help and fix the problem the right way! Get prices at cost or wholesale. Check out Ridersville Cycle if interested!

Regards,

R'

Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

AHH I pushed the right button! I see a fairly descent spread from 35- to over 100 bucks for shop rate. Now is the charge a flat rate per hour charge as per time required guild I sure hope so. I do-not mind paying 100. bucks if I get a factory trained certified polaris mechanic to work on the ECM and all the sensors hooked to it but at 100.bucks per hour I think I will keep my bike out of the swimming holes or buy extended coverage then trade it out in two years.JMO

Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

FYI, if your planning to trade you may lose more money, you may NOT want to buy the ext. warrenty. JMO. It won't transfer to your new bike at least Polaris Star would not move it from my SP450 to my SP800. Any others out there with the same situation or another perspective on this?

Thx,

R'

Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
No.....in my case its a example of how I love to deal with honest, hard working people. My repair guy doesnt screw me over and I return the favor by making him my go to guy for everything. I have a garage full, literally (8 street bikes, 3 dirt bikes 5 atvs) and he gets ALL my business for everything. Hes honest and reliable so I dont price shop, I dont try to negotiate prices....I take broken stuff in, he fixes it and I pay the bill....period.

If he messes something up and it takes him 2 extra hours....he doesnt charge me. If I get the bill and hes found a way to fix something that saved me money, I tip him. If he needs help with something I help.....and he returns the favor. In fact Im getting ready to deliver some motocross gear there for his kids that my kids outgrew.

Do I think that people that charge $100 an hour arent honest or hard working....certainly not, that would be ridiculous. Im just pointing out the reason I go to the guy isnt merely cause hes cheap.....its that hes good, honest and not afraid to work on stuff (older stuff, beat to hell stuff etc).

If he doubled his prices tomorrow I would still go.

Not selfish at all.....he charges what he charges and I pay it.

If he sucked he wouldnt be worth the $35 an hour he does charge.....in reality hes worth 3x that.

The question is are those $100 an hour techs worth what they charge.....in alot of cases thats a no.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
If he doubled his prices tomorrow I would still go.

Not selfish at all.....he charges what he charges and I pay it.

If he sucked he wouldnt be worth the $35 an hour he does charge.....in reality hes worth 3x that.

The question is are those $100 an hour techs worth what they charge.....in alot of cases thats a no.
Hope he doesnt read this site lol

Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
Hope he doesnt read this site lol
Ehh....he knows hes good and he knows what they charge 30 mins away....Im not worried.

....much

Just picked up my 1980 KZ1000 today from him

adjusted valves
new valve cover gasket
new tachometer drive gasket (mine was leaking)
oil change
new battery
putting 4 Time-Sert inserts in to repair stripped threads

total including labor AND parts was $160.

I know the battery was $50.....so that means the rest of the bill was $110 - how can you beat that????

Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

You can't... Makes me jealous.
I have reserved myself to just building up a tool collection again and working on my own quad, cant beat free.

Quick Reply: 100 bucks