Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

100 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I would be joking but seriously does he do work on smaller things from folks over the internet like shipping a carb to him to rebuild etc.?

What is his contact info. and web site, but be nice to have for a future need whether be me or some friends (with carbs, etc. etc.) Does he only do Polaris service? If other brands than what type?

Thx,

R'

Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
You can't... Makes me jealous.
I have reserved myself to just building up a tool collection again and working on my own quad, cant beat free.
I hear ya....Ive done more stuff lately and Im getting more knowledge....cause I call him and he will convince me its easier to step me thru something on the phone then to put it on a trailer and bring it to him.

Some more bonuses about my mechanic....

1 He comes to my house on Sundays if I request and works in MY garage on my stuff....usually at the first of the year when all the above mentioned equipment needs oil changes and started for the season. We do them all one by one and give them a pre-season short ride. He shows up in his truck with filters for everything, tools etc. He does it anytime I ask but usually I only do this if its multiple machines that need work.

2 His dad has a side business going where they buy old motorcycles and ATVs cheap, disassemble them and put them in tubs in a large building. He goes thru and lists parts on eBay - they have a HUGE building full of parts and complete motorcycles. So when I need parts for my common motorcycles like my KZ1000 or KZ440.....they have entire bikes to take parts off....or out of tubs. Its a beautiful thing....I hardly ever have to source a part, they are all right there.

Example I recently needed an axle for my 2001 King Quad....he said come back in 30 mins and I will have a good one out here. He put new boots on it and regreased it....cost me $60.

3 His dad, brother and him have some of the same cycles I have....so they pay special attention to them and buys all the OEM parts, old bikes etc they can. Ive actually had them take parts off their own running bikes to put on mine so I can ride.......wow. Specially handy in the case of my Ural sidecar rig....as parts need to be imported from Russia in most cases.

4 They do along the roadside rescue...atleast for me anyways. Ive broken down a couple times.....I call, they come. So far they never charged me....said I have a trailer so they may need me to do the same sometime.

Ive actually offered my trailer to them several times....they have a 4x8 cheapy Harbor Freight trailer.....Ive got a 7 x 12 tandem axle trailer with wheel chocks and e track.....told them they can use it anytime.

Its kind of like a friendly business relationship. Not quite friends cause we dont really hangout together (although we do have mutual friends).

Great guys....wouldnt be having half the fun I am without them.

Going to be picking up my King Quad today.

$350 bill includes
4 ITP mud lites and mounting
carb cleaned and kit installed
headlight replaced
tail lights replaced
grip warmers installed (I had the warmers already)
new grips
full service (all fluids changed and new filters....air and oil)

Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer

I just read the first page of posts on this.

You folks gocking at the $75-$100 hr shop time rates don't realize a few things.
First, most dealerships have to deal with the factory on warranty claims.
The factory will only pay out flat rates on time. For instantance a powerhead rebuild may be allowed 3 hours time.
They will pay out whatever your posted shop rate is. If you work on stuff for $50 an hour it means on a warranty job you would only gross $150 for a rebuild. You are going to have more than 3 hours in it. The factories most often do not allow enough time for specified jobs.

If you only charge out $50 an hour I guarantee your dealerships overhead is going to eat up at least half of that, $25, and then you have to pay the tech for his work which may be $15 of it. So you are left with $30 for the rebuild.
Also you have lots of liablity working on stuff. If the motor blows then the dealer will either have to fix it or face slander and lots of headache and loose biz. You have to make enough on repairs to be able to cover you butt when things go wrong.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly

2 His dad has a side business going where they buy old motorcycles and ATVs cheap, disassemble them and put them in tubs in a large building. He goes thru and lists parts on eBay - they have a HUGE building full of parts and complete motorcycles. So when I need parts for my common motorcycles like my KZ1000 or KZ440.....they have entire bikes to take parts off....or out of tubs. Its a beautiful thing....I hardly ever have to source a part, they are all right there.

Whats the Ebay Name / business name in case I need some parts

Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rkuhnjr
Whats the Ebay Name / business name in case I need some parts
This is the link to their ebay store:

eBay Store - ashbysmotorcycle: Category 1, Category 2, Category 3