Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Keep those cables tight

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep those cables tight

I took one of my 500 tourings in because it started backfiring, stumbling, and running rough at odd times during our last ride. Because it's under warranty I just dropped it off at the dealer to let them figure it out. Got it back two days later and they could find nothing wrong, said they checked all the wiring harnesses for a short and came up with nothing.
I know intermittent problems are the hard one to find, so I took it home hoping they may have fixed it by accident when they were checking the connections.
Loading it into my trailer at home it cut out completely, no power at all. I reached under the bike and grabbed hold of my + cable to the battery and the power came back on. Reached under to find both the - cable and + cable were loose. Tighten them up and the quad ran great the whole trip. I called the dealer when I got home and asked if loose cables would cause my problem. The service manager said "oh yea! you really need the cables tight, too loose and it will not run right" So I asked why then didn't they check that first when I had my bike in...... after listening to me awhile I bet the mechanic is getting an ear full.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

It's funny how somtimes your looking at somthing so hard that you completely miss the obvious. Been there done that. Duh! LOL

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on these newer bikes it5 is VERY important to have good battery volt to the bike bunning right for sure. it doesn't have a good 12 volt charge then it will have issues for sure. glad you found it.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

I took my 500 in several years ago for a new belt at my dealer, 2 days later service manager called with a list of problems I should pay to have fixed, speedo, reverse override, some more I have forgotten and a new battery. I said no and picked it up, put in a new battery from WalMart and everything worked fine, battery was fine before I took it to them so that was my last time there. Looked for a dealer I could trust.