Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Final Tire Choice 850xp

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Tire Choice 850xp

I hope everyone is doing well..

I posted a little while back in regards to purchasing new tires for my 850xp. I recieved some great responses however im still on the fence..

Maxxis Big Horn 2.0's-- These would be my first choice Radial tire, very light 6 ply.. BUT! I've heard that the sidewalls are not as strong as some of the tires out there.. I ride in a lot of rocky terrain.. Can't risk having flats.. Let me know your thoughts?

ITP XTR's: Good reviews..

ITP Terracross: Could use some more reviews.

Other Suggestions?

Looking for a tire that will hold up in a variety of terrains..
Increase handling
Good in snow/mud/hardpack/rocky..

Price is not a concern, im looking for the best tire out there..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Go for the Big Horns! I think the Mudlites are little over rated. However that said a real good tire and a great improvement over stock. You do need to get use to the handling of the Mudlites, as you go thru the deep stuff it likes to paddle-scoop its way thru giving you some side SLIDING issues. Those that master this effect says its great. But tight trails, loose rocky terrain that kind of thing SCARES me. Anyways just another perspective on it for the other trail riding stuff.

As with everything it all depends on the kind of riding you do. Great mud tire and I just discovered recently, Great SNOW tire. And NO ONE RAVES over that fact nor points that out!

I plan on keeping mine for Mud and Snow and want to get the Big Horns for hard pack, wood riding and the rocky mountain trails.

Best wishes on your purchase pursuit!

R'

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer

I have 26x9 and 26x11 Mud Lite XTR and love them!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

RichiecNJ, I ride similar conditions to what you listed and I went with 27" ITP 589's on my '10 850. So far couldn't be happier. They've worked very well in a huge variety of terrain and I know from running them on my '03 500SP that they are very tough. Five years on the 500 and not one flat or low tire yet.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

I'm looking for 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 sizes.. ITP really doesn't make much for me until you get into the 27's.. I do not want to sway to far off the standard specs..

Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Go for the Big Horns! I think the Mudlites are little over rated. However that said a real good tire and a great improvement over stock. You do need to get use to the handling of the Mudlites, as you go thru the deep stuff it likes to paddle-scoop its way thru giving you some side SLIDING issues. Those that master this effect says its great. But tight trails, loose rocky terrain that kind of thing SCARES me. Anyways just another perspective on it for the other trail riding stuff.

As with everything it all depends on the kind of riding you do. Great mud tire and I just discovered recently, Great SNOW tire. And NO ONE RAVES over that fact nor points that out!

I plan on keeping mine for Mud and Snow and want to get the Big Horns for hard pack, wood riding and the rocky mountain trails.

Best wishes on your purchase pursuit!

R'
Great advice. Looking hard for some new tread....

Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

BIG HORNS 2.0 have earned my business, after many good reviews and great prices I will be purchasing these new tires.. Now I have to just convince my self after only 20hrs on stock tires to spend more on new tires...Ahh the cost of having fun!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Trailblazer

I felt the same way, so on my last trip to utah i ran the stock tires, i had 2 flats the first week, and the tires have terrible traction in loose corners, turn the wheels and you keep going straight.

After 600 miles of rocky desert and mountain ridding the tires were 50% worn.

i installed Big Horns sat. for my next trip.

Rick

Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

For those conditions...go with the tried and true original bighorns.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, I expected much more out of the stock tires especially from these high end machines.. The traction is terrible and if you hit ANY snow going over 10mph you totally loose direction.

Just placed the order with Rocky Mountain.. $433.09 shipped to NJ.

Quick Reply: Final Tire Choice 850xp