Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First Plowing experience....broken winch cable....Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dublin
Aha! Gotcha. I was under the impression you just wanted a short piece at the end of your steel cable. I think I'll just leave it as is and realize I'll prolly lose a few feet of line each year until I replace it. I'm half considering moving the hook point on the plow as far foward as I can to reduce the angle imposed on the line but that'll have to wait until sometime this summer.

Thanks for all the help!
It's up to you what you want to do but you might regret leaving the wire on there for plowing because when it breaks next time you might be in the middle of a snowstorm.....Who wants to have to do a quick fix in the middle of that????I believe the wire is slowly getting weaker at the point where it rolls over the bottom roller everytime the plow is raised and lowered...The next time it breaks just might be in he woods somewhere when you really need it....Make sure you have the tools to fix it if you're not close to home....Replacing it with the synthetic is very simple...It takes me about 30 min. to do the change.....Good luck...

John

Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?

I'm not near the machine now but am pretty sure it's spooling such that the wire goes in over the top of the drum vs. under it.

Cheers,
cc

Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
Just curious...How did you go about connecting it to the drum???Self tapping screws//

John
Some here do use the self tapping screws, but I just used a 1ft long piece of duct tape stuck it to the strap then placed it on the spool & wound it up tightly & it's been working great. There is a lot of tension on the strap so it doesn't slip with my just using the tape and again, the piece of strap that I used is about 12ft long.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Go with a 2 inch strap,, works perfectly. Have been using same strap now for last 5 years..

Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ok guys thanks...

John

Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also use the strap method...two inches wide...I cut the end so that there is a piece about two inches long and just wide enough to fit into the hole in the drum...just hold the cut end in the hole and wind it up....once it wraps a few times it will lock itself on...haven't broken the strap...it is heavy duty from a utility trailer at work....10,000 lb capacity about four feet long.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to using atv plows and have a grizz 550 and 350 mainly for sidewalks and driveways. I have snapped 3 cables and have heard and read that the synthetic is the way to go. I have shorten the cable on the 550 and yet it did not last one day of pushing before snapping again as we were putting it in the trailer. I read that you are not to lift the plow too high or it puts too much tension but to get it up the steep ramp in the trailer i have to raise it at least 6-8".
I had a guy mount the winch on top of the front rach which gave me much greater height but the cable snaped while the guys were using it during the last storm. Again new and not knowing the best options but having cables constantly break is not productive and costly.
Ideas are welcomed.
Thank you

Old 02-26-2018, 11:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've raised my plow too high several times until the mount hit the frame and put a lot of tension on the cable. But I've only broken a cable one time. If you keep breaking cables, either it's a cheap cable or you're doing something wrong, like pulling the plow up all the way and trying to go even farther.

P.S. Have you tried backing up the ramp into the trailer? I have to load mine backward or the plow won't clear the deck of my tilt bed trailer.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

On the 350 the winch is mounted on the front rack and can go pretty high. The 55o is where most winches are installed and yet it is being raised no more than i would say 8" or so and keeps breaking. I had the cable shorten and yet it just broke again. User error probable but i raised it once and it broke.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes by all means keep the angle of the cable as flat as you can for pulling up the blade. The real steep angles are tough on steel cable and that is why many including myself have switched to synthetic cable. The recommendation of spooling over the top is also a good idea as I have done that as well. I just use about 30 ft of synthetic cable and leave it on my winch year round, then I carry two steel cables with clips on both ends in my storage box in case I need more winching length in the summer riding months. Sucks to have to reel out 40 ft of cable from the winch when I can just uncoil and add what ever length I need in a winching situation. The synthetic rope is easier on the drum and fairlead then the steel cable. Hope these suggestions help.

Quick Reply: First Plowing experience....broken winch cable....Ideas?