Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First Plowing experience....broken winch cable....Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Plowing experience....broken winch cable....Ideas?

Hiya Folks,
Well I finally had a chance to try out my 850xp and plow this season. I used it a couple weeks ago but that was only for a 5" or so of snow so I really didn't count that. This time, I had probably 14" of snow to clear. I am using the Tusk plow and it worked great. Two passes and my drive was clear....much better than shovelling! I also noticed the stock tires on the 850 are crap in the snow so I'll be researching some good tires for the snow.

One thing that did disappoint me was the fact that my winch line broke. I haven't used this winch at all except for the two plowing sessions and at that, it probably raised/lowered the plow maybe 40 times when all was said and done. Is this typical or is something not right. The angle the Tusk plow requires of the cable is pretty steep I must admit so perhaps I just need to get used to it. I temporarily repaired it with the cable c-clamp type holders but will invest in a crimper given I have a feeling this will be a somewhat regular occurrence.

Still a good day given I had the drive plowed in about 10 mins vs. shovelling for 2 hours.
Cheers,
cc

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 PM
DCT
Banned

Consider getting a short piece of synthetic rope or a HD strap for plowing.

If you are going to use the steel cable, be careful not to let too much cable out when lowering the winch. If you do, it tends to wrap over itself when you raise the winch. This can cause it to bind and then break.

Also, don't raise the winch to far, or it can jam and break. You only need to raise it a couple of inches to back up, lower it, and plow.

If the clamps are simply coming lose, just put two or three of them on the cable.

HTH

Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4" x 12' synthetic is the way to go for plowing. I have yet to break mine.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Yup I use a short section of synthetic rope as well which I switch back to my 50' section when plow season is over....

John

Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Range Rover

I went with the flat tow strap because I had a frayed one laying around anyway & I think that it works great.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dande
I went with the flat tow strap because I had a frayed one laying around anyway & I think that it works great.
Just curious...How did you go about connecting it to the drum???Self tapping screws//

John

Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Thanks folks for the inputs. How do you go about connecting say a 10-12' piece of synthetic to the steel cable?
Cheers,
cc

Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dublin
Thanks folks for the inputs. How do you go about connecting say a 10-12' piece of synthetic to the steel cable?
Cheers,
cc
No no no my friend....It totally replaces the wire rope...

John

Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

Aha! Gotcha. I was under the impression you just wanted a short piece at the end of your steel cable. I think I'll just leave it as is and realize I'll prolly lose a few feet of line each year until I replace it. I'm half considering moving the hook point on the plow as far foward as I can to reduce the angle imposed on the line but that'll have to wait until sometime this summer.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe unspool the cable then spool it in using the out button. That will put the cable spooling from the top of the spool instead of the bottom. That should lower the angle the cable is used to lift the plow. You may try it and see if it helps.

Quick Reply: First Plowing experience....broken winch cable....Ideas?