Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How Deep is too Deep to Plow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my WIFE just laughed in my face again about this ATV plow not being effective enough for the driveway and questioned me on why I didn't get a snow blower.

I told her "Well I thought I was saving us money but now we just may need to go buy one". She rolled her eyes, mummbled and shook her head as normal. After "trying" to clear 3ft of snow from the back deck she came back in and asked me if the snow blowers would work on that and I said YES and we can even do our Sidewalk etc.

Well we will see what happens!

To to answer the thread question, 3ft plus now it will be 20" or more after through this Blizzard, yea too much snow for me to push plus the FREAK'IN ICERBERGS sitting in my Driveway that the plow can't match..lol..lol

R'

Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I went for the plow on the Ranger 6x6, throw a few bags of Sand in the box, and she moves Snow!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Well my WIFE just laughed in my face again about this ATV plow not being effective enough for the driveway and questioned me on why I didn't get a snow blower.

I told her "Well I thought I was saving us money but now we just may need to go buy one". She rolled her eyes, mummbled and shook her head as normal. After "trying" to clear 3ft of snow from the back deck she came back in and asked me if the snow blowers would work on that and I said YES and we can even do our Sidewalk etc.

Well we will see what happens!

To to answer the thread question, 3ft plus now it will be 20" or more after through this Blizzard, yea too much snow for me to push plus the FREAK'IN ICERBERGS sitting in my Driveway that the plow can't match..lol..lol

R'
When the snow is that deep I think you will have just as hard of a time if not a harder time with a snowblower. Sounds like you need a truck or tractor.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can push some deep snow, but taking small passes has already been mentioned and that works well. This may sound strange, but I've had to cut through some 2-3' drifts before in our driveway and found that if I can shovel a path through it at any point, then I have some place I can get through. I use a regular grain shovel and I'm talking about cutting a path as wide as the shovel. That seems to give a "relief" and make is possible to cut away at the deeper stuff.

You're not going to get away from shoveling a little that I know of. We have a stone driveway around 500' or so long and I keep the skid pads all the way up, so I never turn the tires on snow free ground. I can clean it up pretty well, then do a quick "clean up" with the shovel in about 15 minutes.

Just keep at it. Technique is everything and you're not going to get good at it until you've done it a few times and learned what your limits are. 3' of packed snow is going to be a challenge for any of us.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

R......
Dumb question but why did you wait till the storm was done? You would have been good if you just stayed with it and do it several times and stay ahead of it...

John

Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Looks like the Blower costs as much as the ATV.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

JCD,

Very vaild question and now wiping the egg off my face (no worries, thx JCD), I had a bad sprained ankle/foot for about a month now. My cuz stayed the Blizzard weekend (first one, who would of guessed, lol) and well when ya have to rely on others you know the drill! Yes he waited and what happened is he realized the hard way that the plow is NOT a miracle worker. He refused to plow when it was storming. He allowed the snow to pile up on the bike, in front of it and it barracaded he in. He dug it out then realized the driveway was too much to push. I insisted on him raising the blade all the way up and take inches from the top. Well with lots of attitude from him and the wife he was hoping off shoveling the walkway, helping in other areas, accomidating the kids who wanted to play making a hill and IGLOO etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line, if your not 100% dedicated you will end up with 4-5ft snow drifts that turn into ICEBERGS and make it unpassable for the ATV to get over and thru and unpossible to push or plow b/c its too hard.

Does anything I am saying relate to anyone? At least my excuse is we are newbies at this stuff and not as season as many of you all!

I don't care so much as my first priority is my steps&porch and getting my truck out and off the driveway. But I will say this in the next couple of days I will get the plow out to at least work the remainder of the snow piles into the yard and will give it my best. -- Keep ya's posted, lol..lol

R'

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

I think this is what you need:

Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey R,,, Maybe give Raven directions to your house...lol...It sucks getting behind a storm so I always make sure I stay ahead of it...Goot luck...Hope the ankle gets better...

John

Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

NO DOUBT! That would be Real nice to have, lol..lol

Change the topic even more, what do you all do to get the heavy deep snow off the roof tops?

R'

Quick Reply: How Deep is too Deep to Plow?