Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CB Radio on My Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas Pump City,

I use a Garmin GPSMap60CS on my ATV for navigating and exploring new areas now, and I love it.

I have a friend who has a pair of the rino 120s? or something like that. He complains about the range.

I was looking at the 530s recently. Nice but pricey! Are they loud enough to hear if someone is calling you while you're riding?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

I was replying to the original post.

"All CBs have the same power output. It's the antenna that makes the difference."

Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by crashinmike
Gas Pump City,

I use a Garmin GPSMap60CS on my ATV for navigating and exploring new areas now, and I love it.

I have a friend who has a pair of the rino 120s? or something like that. He complains about the range.

I was looking at the 530s recently. Nice but pricey! Are they loud enough to hear if someone is calling you while you're riding?
I bought mine from GPSCITY.COM 359.00 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8523

Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

THE rino has call feature on it plus it rings loud for me there cool.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Seems like Big-O and I have another thing in common besides good taste in symbols. I to used to be HEAVY into CB radio. Two problems with adding a CB to your quad. 1 they are not waterproof (even the marine style are only water 'resistant"). And 2 the antenna uses the metal frame of the vehicle as a ground plane. And a quad doesn't quite match the metal make-up a car has. I would love it if we all had a few frequencies we could use on the trail. Makes meeting people even easier. Some of the best times I had were playin Fox & Hound in the cars on the CB. I'm sure it would be a blast on the trails.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes the ant make s a huge differnc ein the out signal strenght for sure. i would be worried abot getting dirt and water inthe radio unless you never get near and water/mud. although alot of dust may be a factor as well. personally i would get a steel spring mounted ant instead of a fiberglass as the fiberglass can be damaged easier from hitting objects. once you brake the inturnal wire(and sometimes you can't see it) off the ant, it has junk for reception

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Trailblazer

I agree about the standard antenna and not having enough ground plain on an ATV, I'd suggest a marine antenna that does not rely on a metal ground plain.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Range Rover

not sure what mhz range the marine antenna is, but you can cut it to make it a 1/4 or 1/8 wave antenna in the 26/27 mhz range. Send me the specs on the antenna tonight and I will do the math and send back length to cut it so you can get the swr wright if you are interested in that.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Range Rover

So if this guy pulls this off does that mean we are all gonna slap CB's on our rides? Cuz I got a President sitting in the back of my closet that hasn't seen any action in about 15 years. Then I guess I could break out the sweet 16 and really pump up the watts. Add a couple new rodger beeps and an echo mic. I wonder if I can mount a set of PDL's to my rack on my Cat. Sorry I'm getting kinda excited about this aren't I? Don't miss the big picture here guys. If your in the mountains riding it would be almost useless. Elevation changes and trees and rocks would reek havoc on your signal. Best bet is to stick with a system made for this kind of use. Ya a little expensive but in the long run you probably will be happier. IMO.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go ATV'ing to get away from:
home phones, e-mail, cell phones, pagers, T.V., P.C, I-Phone, Faxes, Blackberry, Traffic lights, Bank machines, Printers, Scanners,

I know you just want them(C.B) to keep in touch with the wife.....

I ride with my wife(two Quads) and sometimes I wish she was on the list above..........LOL................LOL............. .J/K........No not really,
That list will do...............Caper..........

Quick Reply: CB Radio on My Sportsman