Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CB Radio on My Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
I go ATV'ing to get away from:
home phones, e-mail, cell phones, pagers, T.V., P.C, I-Phone, Faxes, Blackberry, Traffic lights, Bank machines, Printers, Scanners,

I know you just want them(C.B) to keep in touch with the wife.....

I ride with my wife(two Quads) and sometimes I wish she was on the list above..........LOL................LOL............. .J/K........No not really,
That list will do...............Caper..........
Well said!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default bike to bike communication

There are several companies that make bike to bike communicators. Some of them use the small FRC radios available from everyone and just a few I've seen use CBs. I've got a set up on my sportbikes that uses Kenwood FRC radios. It has microphones and headsets built in the helmets.You can install the headsets and microphone in any helmet. They work perfectly, no noise, decent range(2 miles line of site, 1/4 mile is the minimum) and you can talk to the other person just like you are carrying on a conversation in the car. It also allows you to listen to music if you want.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

yeah dan those frc radio's are descent, they are used alot,(lot of traffic).but are convenient,weatherproof,and some have a advertised range of 5-7 miles..........you can just put one in a alligator bag and put it in your tool kit box..................

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

hmmm

Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB mount to ATV

I saw your post about the Cobra 75 WX ST. I have the same radio and mounted it with a standard GP antenna. I had to shorten the whip and I shortened the coax. I'm getting a SWR reading in 1.5:1 range on most channels but don't seem to be getting out. I am receiving very well but transmit seems to be a problem. I was wondering how you made out with your set up and what kind of antenna you put on your quad?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tatankaobwaci
I saw your post about the Cobra 75 WX ST. I have the same radio and mounted it with a standard GP antenna. I had to shorten the whip and I shortened the coax. I'm getting a SWR reading in 1.5:1 range on most channels but don't seem to be getting out. I am receiving very well but transmit seems to be a problem. I was wondering how you made out with your set up and what kind of antenna you put on your quad?
welcome to the forum. you sure your mic is putting out? i have had radios in my truck that would recieve fine but had no modulation.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I took the unit out of my truck to install on the ATV and it was working perfectly.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know depending on long the coax is and whether you have it all bundled together effects the out put of it. you do have a prety good match though if you had a bad ground on the ant. it self you wouldn't have a good match either. having a radio on the wheeler shouldn't effect how it puts out any differnt then in a truck then other then what i have mentioned that i know of.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the way the antenna is mounted.......Good ground makes all the differance.........That's why the Magnet mounts work great on the cars/trucks.....Caper.........

Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down here at the fire department i previously worked for we had an ATV that we shared with the police department that was used for off road rescue and law enforcement duties that was equipped with a two way radio to communicate with the county communications center. It was mounted forward of the handlebars on the front rack of the ATV in a waterproof box with a small screen so that you can see what channel your on. Inside the box we had a siren and a bunch of flashing lights too. I dont belive that the ATV had any spare batteries to run all of that but im not sure.

Quick Reply: CB Radio on My Sportsman