Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snow Plows - Front or Center Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Plows - Front or Center Mount?

All,

Looking into plows like a lot of you these days....what's the opinion...center mounted or front mounted setups? Advantages, disadvantages of each?

I've seen at least the Warn system has options for either and it got me to thinking.......

Thanks
Malt King

Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I am in the same boat. ready to buy for my Cat 650 TRV and can't decide. The center "tube" mount has been around for years, so it is tried and proven. But I love the front mount and how easy it is to hook up, but I am worried that would put allot of stress on that part of the frame.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running a Glacier(front mount) for 5 years with no problems. This plow has been on my 05 800 and is now on my 09 800. It will push as much snow as I can throw in front of it and the quick mounting is a big plus!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Pro Rider

There always seems to be a lot of talk about what is the strongest plow out there. I think a better question might be, who has bent up what plow, and what did it take to bend it up?

I think anything can be destroyed, the question is, what broke it. The answer is usually doing something with it, it was not designed to do.

I think as long as a person is carefull and does proper maintenance, use it for what it was designed for, things will last.

If you want to hit 5 foot snow banks at 25 MPH, then you should be driving a 3/4 ton truck, with a plow designed for the abuse.

So who has tore up their plow, and what did it take?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Pro Rider

Hit the seam in a paved parking lot at about 10mph with the blade angled fully to the right. The blade did not trip due to the angle. Immediately stopped. I went about 1/2 way over the handlebars. Broke the power pivot but the blade was unscathed. Blade is in the signature. Power pivot is different.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

I guess different guys will have different opinions not that either is the best...I've used the push tube center mount since '05 with no issues but I don't plow like a nut....I take my time and am very careful....I agree with lovmudd.....

John

Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by noooooo
Hit the seam in a paved parking lot at about 10mph with the blade angled fully to the right. The blade did not trip due to the angle. Immediately stopped. I went about 1/2 way over the handlebars. Broke the power pivot but the blade was unscathed. Blade is in the signature. Power pivot is different.
That is good to know. I would have bet it would have been the Glacier II mount that bent, as they have been talked about as being weak, especially seeing it was an angled hit. Maybe they are stronger than I thought. After looking at Thor's pic's that Moose plow looks like a heavy built unit.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

The xp g2 mounts are supposedly stronger than the regular g2.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G2 is nice system, easy on and off. Great for bad backs, but the only problem is if you are into technical stuff. You loose front end clearance. (at least with the Sportsman classic). I had lots of problems last year when I went to Harlan KY with rocks hitting the mount while climbing. You loose that front factory angle with the mount. Next year I am going to take my mount off for the ride. For normal trail riding and around the property it is just fine. It is a great system for the price.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MrThor
The G2 is nice system, easy on and off. Great for bad backs, but the only problem is if you are into technical stuff. You loose front end clearance. (at least with the Sportsman classic). I had lots of problems last year when I went to Harlan KY with rocks hitting the mount while climbing. You loose that front factory angle with the mount. Next year I am going to take my mount off for the ride. For normal trail riding and around the property it is just fine. It is a great system for the price.

I can see from your picture that your plow frame is bent.

FINALLY Popo has re-designed a new Glacier2 plate. (ck your part # before buying to be sure you get the new one)

Quick Reply: Snow Plows - Front or Center Mount?