Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'10 550X2....Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '10 550X2....Help

So I decided to go on my first serious backwoods trip on my new Polaris. Went on some really fun trails, lots of climbs and downhills, curves, stumps, mud, and even a few long flat sections. The ATV did fine except for one thing. My darn check engine warning indicator came on!! Can't believe it being that it's a brand new quad. It's only got like five hours on it and now I've got an EFI problem??? Says in the manual that if this warning indicator comes on not to drive it any further and to take it to a dealer. Well, I was a few miles out and I sure as heck couldn't walk it back to the truck....so I rode it back and didn't notice anything unusual about the engine or power. I loaded it up on my trailer and headed home. When I got there I needed to start it up and put it away....so as I did this I noticed the warning didn't come back on!? What gives fellas? Any ideas? Should I go through the pain of bringing it back to the dealer (under warranty but 35 miles away) or should I risk just ridning it on another outing and see if the warning comes back?
Opinions??

Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

If the check engine light came on then it recorded the fault code to history.I have read here you can check the codes when active but not sure how to retrieve logged codes. I would call the dealer plus did you check the battery connections. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where you in 4x4 when it happened? If so next time take it out of 4x4 and see if it goes off. If it does then put it back in 4x4 and see if it comes back on. That happened to me one time on a trip to KY. Never could figure out why it did it? Thought it was just a faulty sensor.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

Called the dealer and they said to bring it in and they will look at it. Not much info from them. I was in 4x4 when it occured yet it still did it in 2x4 as well.
You know....I am not very happy to have to take this damn thing back to the dealer. It's HIGHLY irritating to have this happen. I am a person that expects quality from all of my machines. I was a bit concerned about buying a Polaris (as I usually like Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha). I know....calm down, it's no big deal....blah, blah. But I paid a lot of money for this thing and I don't like issues that have NOTHING to do with anything I did. I'll bet the dealer will want to keep it at least a week.....you know how they are when it comes to being speedy.
I did not check the battery connections but I doubt this would cause a check engine indicator....would it? I'll check in the morning. I'm too pissed right now.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

I would not unhook the battery before taking it to the dealer. If it is like a car it will erase the code that is stored, if you leave the terminal off to long and then when you get to the dealer he will not be able to get anything from the computer. For me a 70 mile round trip verses what could be fixed in a matter of minutes there is no question. I do not no how your dealer is, but where I am if I set an appointment and tell them I am traveling long distance (65 miles one way) they will get me in and do the work ASAP if they don't have to order parts.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you take the time to read the manual on how to retrieve the codes on the pod to see what it says if anything? don't know about the new xp's but if you turn the key on and on 3 times w/out stopping and leave it on the last time it should show if there is any codes stored. there again this is on the reg. sportsman.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by stendori
did you take the time to read the manual on how to retrieve the codes on the pod to see what it says if anything? don't know about the new xp's but if you turn the key on and on 3 times w/out stopping and leave it on the last time it should show if there is any codes stored. there again this is on the reg. sportsman.
Yes, I read the manual briefly and noticed a section on codes. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go out in the morning and give it a try.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Sound's like a minor problem but hauling the machine back and forth can be a PITA. Hope you get it corrected. Not something you want to happen on a new machine either.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

Rechecked my manual and in regard to retrieving the codes...."accessible only whenthe check engine warning indicator activates after the key is turned on". My indicator is not on at this point....so I can't retrieve them. It says to see your dealer for the inactive display codes. So.....I've made an appointment anyway. We'll just see what they come up with. I just hope I have a good mechanic looking at it and not some recent graduate of a trade school.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Let us know what they find.