Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

snow plow raise shut off switch auto shut off when plow hits frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow plow raise shut off switch auto shut off when plow hits frame

so has anyone come up with a way so that the contractor shuts off when the plow frame hits the bottom of the wheeler frame? i want to do this on my popo. my springs arent lasting and i want a better way... was thinking of a switch some how some way. i have an idea. but want some input.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

You could wire a HD tactile switch somewhere between the atv frame and plow frame. Just wire it through the switch on the handle bars. You would have to wire it through the "IN" only as you don't want to cut off power all together, pretty tough to go back down without power. Would be a pretty easy install. My only concern would be how it holds up to the elements??

Wenty

Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

i was hopeing to use a magnetic switch so its sealed and that i could mount under the wheeler and leave it there. and attach the magnet part to the plow frame so when they get close it will shut it off. id also need to add a relay. and some way put it all togetther so i could still put the plow down. and use the winch during summer when the plow isent on.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

A magnetic switch would work as well. Shouldn't need a relay with either switch if you wire it through the "IN" only. As soon as the magnet or tactile switch released it would open that circuit back up. "Out" wouldn't be effected at all. Using the winch without the plow wouldn't be a problem, should work as intended.

My concerns would be...since the switch is on the bottom side of the frame, bottoming out be it summer or winter could rip it off or pull wires loose. Good news is these switches aren't expensive, one could dink around, try it out and not be out much. I like the idea.

Wenty

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

i thought maybe id have to use a relay. i havent looked at the rocker switch yet. but i know there are 2 wires comeing from it that go to the contractor. and there is the power wire to the rocker switch from an igntion sorce. so when pushing on the in or out on the switch dose it only power one of the output wires? or how dose it work? i know i could figure it out. but im to lazy to go look. plus its cold out.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, It only powers one of the two wires. On that rocker there should be 3 wires total. At least on my rocker there are only three. One wire is the power supply, the two other wires...one runs "out", the other "in". A test light should show which wire is which. All you should have to do is wire the new magnetic or tactile switch in line with the "in" wire.

Wenty

Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

alright. while you replyed to this i was drawing up a wire diagram. i know some of the wire colors aint right. but its a start.
Name:  WINCHUPPLOWSWITCH.jpg
Views: 30081
Size:  58.3 KB

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why do you need a switch to interrupp the power source to the winch? is so you don't have to pay attention to where to stop it each time when raising it as i like an auto shut off? just wondering.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

well actuly its not interrupting the power sorce. but the switch "up" trigger solinoid trigger wire to the contractor.

before i had a spring on the front to prevent me from bending the plow frame. but i had to cut a spring in half. well the one end that i had to put a hook back on wont stay a hook after some time. so i wanted something thats faster. while im backing up id like it to shut off when it hits the top. since i want to payattion to where im backing up to insted of the where the winch is. plus i have 17 places to plow. so the faster i can do them the better off i am.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

Did you pursue this anymore Chuck? I like the idea, but I'm not too great with electrical stuff like that

Quick Reply: snow plow raise shut off switch auto shut off when plow hits frame