Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Plowing for Dummies

Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing for Dummies

Well if there isn't a book out there on this topic, then there should be!

Got'r hung up and had to shovel her out and then I worked it out like I was stuck in a mud hole! lol...lol...Finally got her up over the drift onto the front of the driveway only to get the snow shaved some Vs. scrape'd. Managed to also pop the plow right off the frame with the winch a little to far OUT and it lifted up on the snow bank. Had to hop off re-position and re-attach again, PITA. Crappy design on the G2 in my opinion, seems too EASY to do! Wouldn't mind hearing from ya seasoned experts on how you master your domain...8-)

Attached Thumbnails Plowing for Dummies-0212001741.jpg   Plowing for Dummies-0212001741a.jpg  
Old 02-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have better luck blading out to get started. Once you have a path opened up then take small bites and keep pushing. It's a pain but working with the snow you folks got is no easy task on any wheeler. Start lifting the blade as you are getting to the snow bank. After some practice you'll get the timing down and be able tp scoop it up pretty high.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that plow is kind of on the short side to push alot of snow as well. but switz is 100% correct on what he mentioned. even w/ a pick up it's the same way. you have enough power, but lack he weight on the machine to prevent the wheels form spinning and once your trying to push snow while driving in it w/ out a clear path it makes you loose all of the traction you would have. if that makes any sense to ya.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider

If you lose traction lift the blade a little.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by switzomatic
You may have better luck blading out to get started. Once you have a path opened up then take small bites and keep pushing. It's a pain but working with the snow you folks got is no easy task on any wheeler. Start lifting the blade as you are getting to the snow bank. After some practice you'll get the timing down and be able tp scoop it up pretty high.

Agreed.....

John

Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

BEST Tip yet = HEAT!

A few days of over 40 degrees temps has really helped to melt much of the snow. Yea thanks for the tips when ya do it these things eventually become obvious but to the non-plower they just don't understand the dynamics. Been FUN though!

Cheers all,

R'

Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Haha in looking at my gallery trying figure out how to upload some pix to change my diff oil I found this, almost 6 years ago when we had historic 3 feet of snow. I learned PLOWING for the first time isn't easy, i realized there is true skill to effective plowing. Wish I had a plow for this new 570.

Thoughts? whats the best plow system nowadays for these new machines?

Thanks,

R'

Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

I can't wait to plow with my Arctic Cat Diesel. I have a 72" Cycle Country plow that was almost too big for my 500. Now I have traction, weight and torque.... where is the snow/ haha BTW, my driveway is 500 yards long!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Polaris Glacier plow for my 500 because it was compatible with the Polaris brush guard I have. Some plows fit with it and some don't and I didn't want to go the trial by error route until I got one that would work. I haven't really heard much bad about any plow system except some people were bending the Glacier II mount. Polaris quit making them and came out with a Glacier III and I don't know what they have now. As far as I know no one makes a bad plow. Hopefully you'll get some responses from people who own other brands.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I bought a Polaris Glacier plow for my 500 because it was compatible with the Polaris brush guard I have. Some plows fit with it and some don't and I didn't want to go the trial by error route until I got one that would work. I haven't really heard much bad about any plow system except some people were bending the Glacier II mount. Polaris quit making them and came out with a Glacier III and I don't know what they have now. As far as I know no one makes a bad plow. Hopefully you'll get some responses from people who own other brands.
Good info guys. As you know ive been off the forum for a while and ATVless until I the $$$ to get my Polaris again. If my house sells this year I msy trade and get an new ACE or RZR. Either way ATV'd for life. Cant stay away too long, lol...lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plowing for Dummies