Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Land to own or land to lease?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see leasing land to hunt. We have family in SD where we go pheasant hunting, all the land around there is either private or split lease between farming and hunting. Lucky we still have plenty of farm land to hunt without paying. Land for riding wouldn't fit my style riding. I like to take off and see different country along the way. We normally cover around 100 miles per day on our rides and never go back the way we came in, that would take a lot of land.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea it would probably be leasing for hunting purposes split among the group with the added benefits of riding the property during the off hunting seasons. Its just I hate paying hunting dues so high for a club membership when I feel I could lease my own land of at least 100 acres for the same amount of money.

Just getting a feel from you all! Did I see $7 acre? Man, so why didn't buy up the state for that cost? lol..lol Must be nice, yea I know what you mean about the high dollar cost of real estate I can't even afford a 4 bedroom home yet for my growing family. But banding together and sharing a lease cost could work. - IMO

Thanks,

R'

Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reno82
I can see leasing land to hunt. We have family in SD where we go pheasant hunting, all the land around there is either private or split lease between farming and hunting. Lucky we still have plenty of farm land to hunt without paying. Land for riding wouldn't fit my style riding. I like to take off and see different country along the way. We normally cover around 100 miles per day on our rides and never go back the way we came in, that would take a lot of land.
Wow...that sounds great. I love pheasant hunting. Been dreaming of taking my GSP out to SD for a hunt. Almost worth driving the bike out from Maine....

State stocks pheasant here and the program is run pretty well, but the pressure for birds is beyond belief. I see 15 hunters on opening day on a 200 acres lot....Not my dream conditions, but happy to have the opportunity for a $15 stamp.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Finding places to hunt in SD is getting harder. Sort of like R's idea, there are a lot of out of state hunters who lease land to hunt on, there are also a lot of "hunting clubs" charging thousands of dollars to hunt land they lease. In SD there are two leases on most of the land, you can lease the land to farm, but have no rights to hunt, the lease to hunt is bought separate. My uncle is an old timer, he hates that the land is being leased for hunting and becoming financially restricting for parents taking their kids for a hunt. He asks us when we're coming out which is usually around opening week for out of state, after we're done hunting he opens it up to families to hunt for free, he has refused some pretty good money to hunt lease his 3 sections of land. They don't make them like him anymore.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default sorry i'm late

I know I am late to this thread, and actually late to this site, but either way I thought I would comment anyway.

The idea of owning an atv park has appealed to me since I got into the hobby years ago, and now with my retirement from the Army growing closer by the minute, I think I would like to give it a go.

I know the first hurdle would be to find enough land, but I am sure that might be the easiest one to overcome. I wonder about the business side of it and find that there are no answers out there.

I would welcome anyone's ideas as to where to start to find the information.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yeah I would like to know too, lol..lol...I missed this thread, well now is the time to buy if you got the mula!

Regards,

R'

Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

We have 200 acres to ride and hunt on that my dad bought 15 years ago. He has 80 of it and the other 120 is split up among 3 other friends, but we kinda share it all. It's also borders thousands of acres of County and state land, so the riding is pretty much unlimited. It is 2 hours away though. It gets very tough to get out there, being most of my buddies turned into stay at home puppies and won't buy a wheeler anymore.

I would advise against buying any land with a group. I've seen it go south almost every time. The best of friends become enemies when someone wants out and their wives want top dollar for their part. I'm really glad my dad bought our land alone.

As for a park, IMO.......it really depends on your location and the regulations there. Here, it seems to work best just to own a resort of some type that connects to existing state trails. There are some along the North shore in MN near Lake Superior that own just 80 acres or so for Campers and Chalets, and they connect the trails to hundreds of miles of state trails. They get involved with the local clubs and help out cleaning the trails, building bridges, raffles, fund raisers, etc.....I know people that have done this type of stuff, but it takes a ton of time and money from your personal life.