Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Poor snow in NE means only one thing....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor snow in NE means only one thing....

Early start to the riding season this year! Last couple of seasons we waited until almost end of May for the trails to open due to the massive snow volume in Maine. This year it looks like we'll be riding in April. Not counting my chickens yet.....storm predicted next week and March is a heavy snow month. There's no real base though, so whatever we do get next 4 weeks will melt quick with some warm rain.

Good for the wildlife too. Last couple years have been brutal on the deer populations.

I gotta get cleaning the garage.....

Old 02-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

It's been mild enough in Western NY that we've already been out on the trails a few times. We were still in slushy wet stuff and a little mud, but we got out anyways. I am pulling the carb off the Kawi this weekend to clean it, getting ready for spring. The 850 doesn't need anything for spring, though it may get a new set of Bighorn 2.0's before the real snowmelt and spring hits.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Early start to the riding season this year! Last couple of seasons we waited until almost end of May for the trails to open due to the massive snow volume in Maine. This year it looks like we'll be riding in April. Not counting my chickens yet.....storm predicted next week and March is a heavy snow month. There's no real base though, so whatever we do get next 4 weeks will melt quick with some warm rain.

Good for the wildlife too. Last couple years have been brutal on the deer populations.

I gotta get cleaning the garage.....
you just jinxed it for the month of march for snow fall. we'll get buried now.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
It's been mild enough in Western NY that we've already been out on the trails a few times. We were still in slushy wet stuff and a little mud, but we got out anyways. I am pulling the carb off the Kawi this weekend to clean it, getting ready for spring. The 850 doesn't need anything for spring, though it may get a new set of Bighorn 2.0's before the real snowmelt and spring hits.
Think I'm goin' Grim Reaper. An awesome looking set of rubber (8ply). I've got to look into the weights though. What a horrible name for an ATV tire. Certainly not the safest of past-times.......speaking of jinxes!

What are you doing on the trails Bitter? There is an official trail opening here in Maine. You'd be hung by your ***** if you tried that here.....Sorry, don't visualize that one. Just a figure of speech.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
you just jinxed it for the month of march for snow fall. we'll get buried now.
Ridin' by April.....Ridin' by April.....Ridin' by April.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea we sledders take a dim view of wheelers on our groomed trails for sure. not to mention the big a$$ fine you get form the game wardens if your caught.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Sten, can atv's dual register out there if they run tracks? Can't do it here yet but I'm trying to work with ATVAM on getting that changed. Still plenty of snow here but getting warm enough during the day to melt it. Barring our typical late season March blizzard should be up to the racks in mud come April! Going to be an awesome Spring mudding season here with the amount of snow we've had:-)

Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by FunRide
What are you doing on the trails Bitter? There is an official trail opening here in Maine. You'd be hung by your ***** if you tried that here.....Sorry, don't visualize that one. Just a figure of speech.
The loop trail in Pendleton, NY is open to ATV's all year long, though deer season riding is frowned upon. The Tri-county Trailriders even do a dice run in February. The snowmobile trails are strictly off limits, and being that I do ride a sled occasionally, I totally understand why.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default poo snow

[QUOTE=FunRide;2897544]Think I'm goin' Grim Reaper. An awesome looking set of rubber (8ply). I've got to look into the weights though. What a horrible name for an ATV tire.

went searching and the weights are GR 26x9x14=24 lbs 26x11x14=28 BH 2.0 26x9x14=21 26x11x14=27

Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I heard that parts of Maine are supposed to get 2-3' of snow this week between Tuesday and the weekend.

Quick Reply: Poor snow in NE means only one thing....