Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snow Plow Weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your wanting more bite on the back drag you could fashion a blade on the back side. I know western makes one for my plow, I would'nt think it would be hard to make one for a atv plow. Same principles should apply big or small

Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

I like this idea. On my glacier plow, spring trip isnt the problem. I dont have much tension on the springs, but they only trip when they should. Floating is the problem...and weight on top will help that. I tried tractor weights but they didnt slip over everything on top.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

Here is my solution to "floating" blade. This is a lenght of worn out cutting edge of a regular snow plow (big trucks on the roads" Once they wear out, they change them and often keep them around the maintenance garage as this is very strong tempered steel! Don't even think putting a hole through one of these with a drill bit. I had to use the electric welder to melt holes right through. This piece of metal is 6 inches wide with a thickness of 3/8" and I cut it to the lenght of the plow (60"). It is bolted in 5 places at the top of the blade. I did not weigh it, but I would say it is at least 60/70 lbs and gives me 4.5" more height on the plow. Could not test it as we are having (for now) a early spring. I will wait a while before taking the plow off the bike as it is not rare to wake up with lots of snow right up to late may around here... Anyway, a little sand blasting and some yellow paint later this summer and it should look good. Enjoy the pictures. Oh, in case you wonder, the big holes are the original bolt holes. I may or may not fill them in before paint.
Name:  snowplow002.jpg
Views: 4132
Size:  86.4 KB
Name:  snowplow003.jpg
Views: 2935
Size:  89.1 KB
Name:  snowplow001.jpg
Views: 3034
Size:  99.7 KB
Name:  snowplow005.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  56.8 KB

Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

It seems with that weight on top it would cause the blade to trip easier? Maybe not, i dont know. But im curious why you didnt just use that as your actual wear bar on the bottom of the plow?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dmtaylor64
It seems with that weight on top it would cause the blade to trip easier? Maybe not, i dont know. But im curious why you didnt just use that as your actual wear bar on the bottom of the plow?
I thighten the spring in case this happens, but actually, you can push a awfull lot of snow without tripping while the weight of the snow is pushing against it. what trips a blade is hitting something hard at the bottom, not the top. since there is more wight at the top, yes it could trip it easier if I hit something hard, that's why I increased the presure on the srping.

Did not even contemplate to use it as cutting edge because it is 5 times thicker than the original one and much more wider. Besides, as mentioned above, this stuff is tempered and very hard to work with in a home shop with regular tools, to work with this metal type you need carbide bits etc...

Old 03-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Someone spoke earlier about the "sticking snow" on the blade. I use a product called Fluid Film on my blade and the under carriage of the machine. You will be amazed at how the snow doesn't stick and build up. I use it on my snow shovel too. It's pretty amazing stuff and works for rust prevention as well. If you live in an area where the there is a lot of salt used like I do, you should give it a try.
And ,no, I'm not a dealer. Merely a happy customer.