Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winching backwards

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I don't see how the example works if the vehicle is being pulled backwards while the winch is trying to pull forwards. Am I missing something or is the drawing messed up? I think gaspumpcity's idea is probably the cheapest way out.
Thats why there are so many ****** blocks in the rear, the rearward pulling force overcomes the front pulling force resulting in moving backwards. If there were no blocks in the back then it would cancel eachother out

Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

sure wish someone would take a video of this working...

No matter how much reduction you have, you are still shortening the cable. I'd have to see it to understand it I guess.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bigt2317
Thats why there are so many ****** blocks in the rear, the rearward pulling force overcomes the front pulling force resulting in moving backwards. If there were no blocks in the back then it would cancel eachother out
Sounds like a recipe to burn out the winch to me. Overcoming the clutch on a winch doesn't sound like a good idea. I would like to see a live demonstration too. Just not with either of our winches.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

The more I think about this the more I think it is a joke. You have to shorten the length of the cable that is played out for a winch to do it's work. If you don't pull the cable into the drum the amount of cable behind the quad will not get shortened to pull the quad towards the tree/anchor point. It doesn't work. Another way of looking at is this: If the cable coming from the front of the quad is getting longer (as in the illustration) the amount of cable being paid out to the rear ****** block pulley setup is getting longer (or staying static as the line is as the quad moves backward) and the distance between the anchor and rear of the quad will not close. When it all comes down to it, cable has got to be pulled into the drum for the winch to do its work.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Okay, back again. You may as well just pull on a rope with that many pulleys. If my math is right you would only need about 50 lbs. to pull an 800 lb. machine out.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

The drawing you are looking at is not mine but its a no brainer to me as the rope is draw into the spool of the winch the whole line is getting shorter! This drawing is from a guy that pulled a 4500# vehicle backwards not an ATV. Now if you are referring to a video of my pulley and atv this I can do!!! .Winch backwards with a front-mounted winch

Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good thing he has alot of cable on his winch and had alot of extra pulley,straps to do that lol. not very pratical in avting i would think, but thats just my view,

Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Looks like a way to stretch an atv. Is it Apr 1st already? How can it pull from 2 directions at once?

OK, on second thought it should work. Diagrahm is a little confusing. I think I'll just call my tow company.

Real nice pulley set up in the photos...... Well built.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I don't see how the example works if the vehicle is being pulled backwards while the winch is trying to pull forwards. Am I missing something or is the drawing messed up? I think gaspumpcity's idea is probably the cheapest way out.
Was thinking the exact same thing Moose.........Not seein' it.

Quick Reply: Winching backwards