Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winching backwards

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I don't see how the example works if the vehicle is being pulled backwards while the winch is trying to pull forwards. Am I missing something or is the drawing messed up? I think gaspumpcity's idea is probably the cheapest way out.
Was thinking the exact same thing Moose.........Not seein' it. Would need to see a live example to feel confident I could make it work.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
good thing he has alot of cable on his winch and had alot of extra pulley,straps to do that lol. not very pratical in avting i would think, but thats just my view,
Well I see this idea is a going in the wrong direction (train wreck) all I can say is my approach WORKS its saves money,effective,FUN TO DO. Yea I would not go that route with extra pulleys and straps so what is wrong with what I did running the rope under the ATV maybe a two or three foot pull? Some of the military vehicles have this set up like mine sort of like mine

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Pretty nifty as it would seem neat to try. But like you point out with all the rope out with chains and tow straps what could be the true distance but a few feet. But if TRUE nice to know these riddles could be solved.

On your pulley setup, I like that but like the other posters it does hang low and looks like you couldn't have it on with the plow, or serious trail riding as it could be obstructive. I would like to see a fab'd fair lead roller put in the same place as your disc pulley which would set in more flatter. But you get an "A" for innovative, I think you give us lots of ideas!

Great thread BTW!

R'

Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=RticKwad;2901445]Pretty nifty as it would seem neat to try. But like you point out with all the rope out with chains and tow straps what could be the true distance but a few feet. But if TRUE nice to know these riddles could be solved.

On your pulley setup, I like that but like the other posters it does hang low and looks like you couldn't have it on with the plow, or serious trail riding as it could be obstructive. I would like to see a fab'd fair lead roller put in the same place as your disc pulley which would set in more flatter. But you get an "A" for innovative, I think you give us lots of ideas!

Great thread BTW!

R'[/QUOT
I missed it under the last pic at first too...It says he keeps it in his toolbox for when he needs it..It doesn't always stay on...

John

Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer

I know it's hard to understand, it's almost like looking at one of those trick questions. But the way it's shown can work, odds are you will never have to do it. Not to mention the amount of rope, ****** blocks, and time to rig it up would take way to long to do. BUT in theory it will work.

Yes you are pulling line in on the drum from the front, that line pulling in is from the end of the winch line which is in the back right? Now if the pulling force front the front is lets say "x", and take away the added ****** blocks in the rear, then the rear pulling force is now equal to "x". But how the little pic shows the forward pulling force is "x" and the rear with 2 ****** blocks added to the rear of vehicle gives the rear pulling force 4 times the amount of "x". So when you winch in the line being put on the winch drum your reeling in line that came from all that extra pulling force in the back.

if the calculated forces are figured then your winch will not stall or burn up, if it starts to stall then put another ****** block in the rear to have the pull 6X the front.

I know I'm horrible at explaining things but I understand this since I've seen it before, so if you have any questions, I'll try to make it a little clearer

Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
The drawing you are looking at is not mine but its a no brainer to me as the rope is draw into the spool of the winch the whole line is getting shorter! This drawing is from a guy that pulled a 4500# vehicle backwards not an ATV. Now if you are referring to a video of my pulley and atv this I can do!!! .Winch backwards with a front-mounted winch
No, I was saying your setup makes more sense to me. It's a great idea. I just think the physics of the illustration in the original just don't seem right. How can a winch be playing out line (vehicle going backwards) and pulling it in at the same time? I am probably missing something.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
Okay, THANK YOU! I see it a ton better with that demonstration than with the illustration. It makes more sense now. The winch is still pulling in even though the vehicle is going backwards because the pulleys in the rear allow for the cable length to be shortened. For some reason I wasn't seeing that. I appreciate your going to the lengths you have to show this. It may come in handy someday.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Okay, I got it. If you were to have one length of wire going out the front to a tree, let's say ten feet, and another single line to the rear going out ten feet to a tree, there would be no gain when you pulled in. The distances would be the same and you wouldn't go anywhere. The difference is that the pulley setup in the rear is pulling in 4 times the amount of cable per pull than the front. So, for each 5 feet being spooled in by the winch the setup in the rear is pulling in 20 feet of cable. It will work but I believe it will still mess up the winch over time.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Range Rover

Gaspumpcity, just keep your hook attached at the rear of your ATV before hitting the trails and you shouldn't have to get too dirty to make your connection, if you get stuck....

Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I think Gaspumpcity may have a thing going here. Look at the US World War II halftrack. They put a roller on the front to act like a front wheel to keep the front end from getting bogged down going through ditches.

Attached Thumbnails Winching backwards-250px-halftrack-fort-benning-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Winching backwards