Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Problem:Sportsman rolls when in gear/no throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem:Sportsman rolls when in gear/no throttle

When I first start up my 2000 sportsman and put it in gear it rolls either forward or back(depending if im in F or R) even though I am not hitting the throttle. It seems to only do it when I first start it up and eventually it goes away. I recently changed the tranny fluid (AMSOIL 2000 gearcase) and put on a new belt.

Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

belt might be too tight....or the wrong size belt. just my .02

Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be your idle set to high. There is a knurled screw coming out of the bottom of your carburetor just underneath the back of the gas tank. Try turning it down as low s you can without the machine stalling when it is cold. If it still moves, then yes, you are having either belt or clutch issues.

Can you hold the brakes and sit still while the machine idles, or does it die when you do this.
If it idles, I would lean towards the belt. If it dies, look at your clutch.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with the above comments. Check idle but chances are the belts a little tight. If you have EBS Clutches your one way bearing on the primary clutch might be going bad or need cleaning. The wrong belt or clutches out of alignment can also cause this.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

First off thanks for replying! It does still run if i hit the brake but will kill if I hit the throttle hard. Idle seems to be as low as it can be, didn't notice the issue until after I changed the belt and fluids. Also if I start the machine while in gear it will not move unless I shift to neutral then go back into gear while machine is cold. Once I drive it for 2 minutes there is no issue. I do have EBS Clutches and I pretty sure I got the correct belt.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

If you go to the black toolbar aon the main page on the right side you'll see "search this forum"....Type in "creeping" and you can read lots of info...

John

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

On some boards they have mentioned a new belt being the issue. Is it possible the new belt is just causing to much friction and will wear down or are they just refering to wrong belt size?

Also the previous belt was changed because it shredded shortly after I purchased it, it was factory belt with 3,000 miles on it so it needed to be changed anyway. Also it will not creep at all once the machine has warmed up.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as jcdey025 mentioned, do a search on creeping and you'll see dozens or more threads just on that subject. i only suggest it becuase there is alot of differnt reasons that causes creeping and the belt is just one of the reasons.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my 01 sp 500 when I had it. I tried everything and I mean everything to make it stop creeping. I changed belts, shimmed out my secondary clutch and even Replaced the one way bearing in the primary. But afterall the only thing that fixed it was replacing the primary clutch. Good luck. search sportsman creep or creeping and you will have alot of info to go through.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be belt is out of spec or the clutches are out of alignment. alignment is more important with a new belt because it is wider. If the primary and secondary clutches are out of alignment it will be worse with the wider newer belt..

check motor mounts and buy or borrow an alignment tool. could be many other issues as well... like a bad primary bearing that is dragging. got to get it back apart and inspect. the machine should only move when the clutch sheeves come together and grab the sides of the belt.

Quick Reply: Problem:Sportsman rolls when in gear/no throttle