Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help! overcharging!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I've just about eliminated everything down to the ECM being bad. Tested stator output (seems fine) Tested with battery out of the magnum (same end results) I've got one last thing to ask about before I take to dealer. I've read on the older quads if there is a bad ground on the rectifier/regulator it could cause an over voltage. But would this same principle apply to an ecm. I would think if there was a ground issue with the ecm I would see other problems as well. not just overcharging?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

I have had batteries short out inside and cause an overcharge like yours but looks like your all over it.Yea you would think if the ECM had shorts, opens,low volts,high volts it would of logged a code.I am learning here did not know the ECM and the voltage regulator were a combined unit.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Angry

yep, the rectifier/regulator is in the ecm on the newer models, not sure if it applies to just the efi models or not. But anyhow thats the wonderful world of technology. Plus the manufactuer gets more money out you. My 02 magnum regulator at dealer Around $80 2007 EFI $379 just because sombody thought it wise to put it in with the ecm. Gotta buy the whole thing.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 AM

Update: Took it to dealer and found out two of the legs on the stator were grounding out causing a short. I missed that completely. It even threw the mechanic off. It showed it was pushing proper output unitl high rpms and then would start grouding out. Mechanic said he's never come across one that acted this way. He even called polaris and talked with them to verify why this was happening. I was also told hopefully the voltage spikes did'nt dink the regulator in the ecm. Good news is my dealer only charge me $20 for diagnosis and will match any price I can find online. Got a new stator coming from polaris for $449 OTD. and hopefully the ecm is ok, (fingers crossed but expecting the worst.)

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow that was strange but glad you got it figured out at least. hope thats all that it is and no ecm as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Yeh I thought it was strange to. I got the stator pulled today so I'm ready for the new one and looked the old one over and could'nt find any damage with exception that one of the posts of windings looked like the end was arking leaving a toasted/melted spot. I would guess thats where it was grounding out to the flywheel maybe.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 04.5 600 is doing the SAME thing. It overcharges at high idle but at low idle it is fine. When it started to overcharge did the TACH go to zero? My tach works fine until it starts to overcharge then it goes to zero. I have replaced the voltage regulator and it still overcharges. my bet is that it is in the stator wich sucks.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM

The only symptoms my quad was having was the battery indicator was flashing at high rpm's. Other than that the quad runs perfectly. At first I suspected it was just a battery problem until I did some testing. Get your battery tested first and make sure it is in the good, as I have been told a bad battery can cause this problem. Next get your stator checked. If you've read this whole thread you'll see the process I've gone through to figure this out.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a new battery in it. I did that first then I replaced the voltage regulator. I have it here in my shop and am going to start testing wires. I hope I find a bad ground or teh signal wire has high resistance.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Smile

Yippy! Finally got my new stator in. And guess what? It works with no more charging problems! And I did'nt fry the ECM. Holding 14.5v at idle 1150rpm And max out at 14.7 at 5000rpm I was so excited to see the end of this issue I caught myself doing a happy dance in the garage. Only thing that sucks now is that hit 65f. today while I'm wrenching and tomorrow it's going to be high of about 40f. with mixed rain and snow. on an educational note, aparently on rare occasion when a stator goes bad it'll overcharge rather than not charge enough. I would have never guessed that one.

Quick Reply: help! overcharging!