Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery dead NO START with pull cord??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dead NO START with pull cord??

Decided to ask this question under a different topic.

I have a 2007 Sportsman X2 500. I have been told that if your battery goes dead, I will NOT be able to start the ATV with the pull cord!! Is this true??

Thanks,
surfcaster

Old 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by surfcaster
Decided to ask this question under a different topic.

I have a 2007 Sportsman X2 500. I have been told that if your battery goes dead, I will NOT be able to start the ATV with the pull cord!! Is this true??

Thanks,
surfcaster
you should be able to start your bike w/ the pull cord w/ a dead battery. imo

Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Not sure if this is correct, but I seem to remember reading in my service manual somewhere that if there is less than 4volts in the system the engine will not start regardless. can't remember if that was just the EFI. models or if it included carb's as well. Have you tried jumping the bike or charging the battery? May be time for a new one?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

The story as I remember it (and I do not claim to be positive about it) was it would start with a dead battery, but not with no battery. The problem claimed to have something to do with the alternator (or whatever they use on these) putting out to much power and frying the electronics on the bike, while if there was a battery there (dead or not) it could act as a "buffer" to limit how much power was going to the rest of the bike.

That being said the theory never really made much sense to me but it was not something I was anxious to try and prove one way or the other.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Not sure if this is correct, but I seem to remember reading in my service manual somewhere that if there is less than 4volts in the system the engine will not start regardless. can't remember if that was just the EFI. models or if it included carb's as well. Have you tried jumping the bike or charging the battery? May be time for a new one?
My battery is OK for the moment.

I do have the EFI and I am concerned as I am not a youngster and I do a lot of surf fishing in the Hot and Humid weather.

I don't want to be down the beach 20 miles and have my battery crap out on me and not be able to start my machine.

Hopefully more of you guys will chime in on this.

Thanks,
surfcaster

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

If i'm understanding my service manual correctly you need a min. 2 volts to get the computer/electrical system up and running. But I would think that pull starting it would giver enough juice off the stator to get things going even with a completely flat lined battery. Not to mention I think you would notice far in advance before your battery got that bad.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

If the battery is dead on an efi machine it will not start, no computer or fuel pump without battery.

Trending Topics

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
If the battery is dead on an efi machine it will not start, no computer or fuel pump without battery.
Anyone have any ideas, other than carrying another battery?

Please understand, I fish some very remote areas where there are not other ATV's.

I appreciate all of replies I have received.

Thanks,
surfcaster

Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

I'm with kerbbirds - and if I were you and fishing where you do - I WOULD have a spare/charged battery always strapped on the wheeler. Only other choice is get a wheeler w/o EFI, so you could pull start it.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

Yea and a plane can't fly with a dead engine.

And a boat can't float with a punctured hull.

And you can't walk out of the backwoods with a broken leg.

Two options: Spend your life preparing for the worst at all times, or LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!!

Ok seriously though, the battery should give plenty of signs that it is failing well before you get stranded. If you want to play it safe replace it every 3 years or so regardless.

Quick Reply: Battery dead NO START with pull cord??