Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with front end popping and creaking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with front end popping and creaking.

On my last few rides I've noticed the front end of my 08 Touring 500 popping and creaking when I am going down hills or dropping into ruts on the trail. It seems to creak more than it pops, and its not very loud.

I've had it in the deep mud once (just below the bottom of the seat), and after that is when I started to notice it. A friend said that it might be just grit or dried mud in the springs. I've washed it several times since then and even pulled the front end and front cargo box off and cleaned it up, but it still does it. Am I missing a knook or cranny somewhere that mud or grit might be hiding to cause this? Or is the problem structural with the shocks/springs themselves?

Thoughts?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:10 AM
Range Rover

There are a few things to check, first have you greased the unit? Should be 2-4 fittings on each wheel were the A-arms connect to the frame. I grease them after each wet ride to push any water out of the joint you can. Also I found one time were the strut bolts on top of the frame at the very top in the tower there is an inner bushings made of hard plastic or some other composite. Jack the front end off the ground and see if there is play between the strut and the strut tower frame if so the bushing may be bad or just need snuged up if not spray some good lube in that area and see if it goes away. Hope this helps!! Question I think that unit has ADC, have you tryed the ADC on a hill and if so does it get worse?

Old 03-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check the cv boots for rips or tear or even crack where water might have got in for a bad cv joint. most of the time the joint will click when it's going bad. if not then maybe as stated above and plenty of grease where you can to try to get rid of it.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the ideas! I just got back in from out of town and I'll definately check out the suggestions this week as I get time. If I find the culprit, I'll post what I find! Thanks again!