Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

so close to running, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so close to running, help!

I just got a new aftermarket carb for my Yamaha breeze.

It starts up and idles nicely. But beyond 1/3 throttle it pops and sputters. Keep it below 1/3 and it goes nice and smooth and will get up to 15mph or so.

I tried adjusting the needle height. It has 3 slots for the E clip...it likes the middle setting the best. Go up or down and either way it sputters almost right away. So the middle setting must be the right one. But as I understand it, that is the only way to adjust WOT.

what am I missing?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

figured out what I was missing, and learned a lesson.

This wheeler came without a airbox/filter. I had used a lawn mower filter (square) and zip tied it to the carb to keep dirt out...was planning on getting something perminant once I had it running.

Today realized that having a filter right at the mouth of the carb was starving it for air. I was on the quad and moved the filter a little bit from the carb and suddenly had more power.

Got a cone filter from auto part store and a rubber pipe adapter from hardware store to make a simple filter and now it drives pretty decent. Still feels a bit low on power, but it runs smooth and it might feel low on power to me because the only other wheeler Ive had was a Honda 350. Plug still looks a tad dark, so I might try adjusting the needle but it is up and running...finally!