Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hey guys im new and I need some help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys im new and I need some help fast!

I have a 1998 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. One of the brake calipers was siezed so I decided to rebuild it and do all new pads. While I have the wheels off I thought now would be a good time to go ahead and do the chains. Well the chains look horrid. They should be replaced. I purchased a good set of O-ring chains. However here is my issue. I have no idea how these concentrics work. I have no idea how to replace these chains and tighten them. Im a pretty inclined person mechanically but have never done this before.

Does anyone have a how to guide (preferably with pictures) on how to reset the concentrics before the new chains go on and how to adjust the new chains?

Guys thanks for you help.. IM trying to get this machine on the trail by next weekend... So your help is needed... Thanks guys...

Oh and I was about to take it to the dealer but they want 265 to do the job... I dont know about you but I cannot afford 265!!! so thats not going to happen.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the time you finish this job you may be wishing you had paid to have it done.I have had to completely remove the eccentrics and clean them to get chains replaced.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Paying for it is just not an option... I dont have that kind of money... I have to many bills going out... I have a week to get this done... I dont mind gettign dirty... Time I have money I do not... The quad is in good shape... Hopfully the eccentrics are not frozen... I will soak em in PB blaster for a few days first...

Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

just a good idea to change the sprokets also. if your chain is junk and the sprockets look like circular saw teeth they need to be changed. or your new chain wont last long.

to tighen the chain you will need to loosen the bolts holding the axel/bearing carrier and turn the carrier. but dont make the chain tight as when the suspention is compressed the chain will tighen.

there is a master link in the chain where you can take the chain apart and install the chain and put the master link in again.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p00hbear
Paying for it is just not an option... I dont have that kind of money... I have to many bills going out... I have a week to get this done... I dont mind gettign dirty... Time I have money I do not... The quad is in good shape... Hopfully the eccentrics are not frozen... I will soak em in PB blaster for a few days first...
Take the covers off the chains and presurer wash them good to get as much mud and crud out as you can

Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also watch ebay or search online for a manual. I've had good luck finding free pdf manuals on pdftown and such. Makes all the difference when working on stuff!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the center chain off... I see the eccentric for right in front of the motor off the center chain... I also see the one for the very rear on the back axle... HOWEVER... I do NOT see one for the very front chain... Does the very front part of the differential move / is an eccentric? Or does the same eccentric adjust the middle and center chain?

I know that on other models like scrambler and I think trail boss has the very front eccentric. However I dont see nor can I find the bolt for a front eccentric. It looks like the front diff on my xplorer doesnt have the eccentric in the front. Just the two, one on the center/ front and the one on the very back...

Any insight to this? Im reading the manual (oem factory manual) and it doesn't say anything about the "B" bolt (bolt for the very front eccentric) on my xplorer just the gen II and III... Mine being a gen IV

Old 04-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

So i think i found the proper bolt but heres my concern... What would be the best route if the eccentric is frozen/stuck...