Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

86 Trail Boss no spark... help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Trail Boss no spark... help please

I’m looking for a little insite to my no spark issue. I have an 86’ 250cc Trail Boss, the original issue was the magnets on the flywheel broke and also damaged the stator. Since I have purchased a used replacement flywheel and stator off EBay and reassembled everything. The flywheel is a direct match off an 86’ Trail Boss but the stator comes off a 90’ Trail Boss. The 90’ wire harness wire color’s and stator look and match up to be the same with the only exception of the wire harness is about 18” longer and the plugs are similar but different. So I reconnected the wires on the 90’ stator to color match the 86’ harness and plugs up as it did from the factory. Now my problem is I have no spark or will get a very weak spark if I move the on-off switch repeatedly at the same time I push the starter button then I will get a weak spark. Other bits of info is … all lights & hi-low beam lights work fine, on-off switch tests fine, starter turns the motor over fine, fuse near solenoid checks fine, & battery has plenty of charge. There are 2 screws that hold the stator in place and slots for adjustment with a timing mark on the stator but not on the case. Is there a specific way to set the timing on this stator maybe?
Do any of you have any other trouble shooting suggestions and ideas?
What are the ohm values for testing the electrical components?

Thanks Bryan

Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

usually there is a slashed stamp mark on the case ,line those two up and the timing is almost dead-on.
follow the wiring from the handlebar switch and there should be a black wire and if you disconnect it ,it will cancel out the kill switch.if the stator is good ,it should have a strong spark.
on your replacement stator,the wires didn't look burnt or any broken windings?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

push the pulse controler closer to the flywheel i had the same problem on my scrambler after the recoil starter rope broke