Brown Wire Burned on Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown Wire Burned on Ignition Switch

So we had a great ride until.....

2002 Sportsman 700

I noticed my speedo flickering yesterday, couldn't change the trip meter etc then the speedo went off. Sometimes my crap on my key will hit the gas cap and turn the switch partially off so I thought no big deal. Then the machine started to overheat. Went to shut it off and wouldn't via the key OR the kill switch (great design POLARIS engineers). While overheating my only option was to turn the fuel off and wait. I was freaking.

Towed her home and pulled the headlight pod apart. The BROWN wire going from my iginition switch (key) is completely burnt and actually burnt/broke the wire near the three wire red/black, red/black & brown connector (headlight pod accessories). Also, it melted the ignition switch (new one on order). Looking at the ignition switch it looks like pin #3 (big red wire) looks like it got hot as well. I am going to trace the brown wire and replace ALL OF IT. Hopefully whatever happened didn't do more damage. When it was running and wouldn't shut off I noticed I lost my fan, kill switch, headlights, speedo and I am assuming all handlebar controls. I assume all is feed off this brown ground wire that melted.

While I am waiting for my ignition switch, does anyone know how to jumper it so I can get the machine to power up so I can check other electrical connections, etc? Do I jumper "C" & "D" or "E" & "D"?

Also, what would just make a ground wire melt like this????? Any ideas? This 700 has turned out to be the worst machine I've EVER owned. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

being impatient, I tried a couple things this morning. isolated the brown wire and ran a new section. Jumped terminals "C" & 'D". The good news it all my handlebar controls, speedo, reverse override and winch buttons all operational again. I'm thinking my ignition switch failed (internally) due to extra **** on my key chain hitting the gas cap when I turn, in return turning it in either position partially. I'm not sure tho, so going to check all wiring to be certain. Bought a new ignition on ebay last night...hopefully it gets here quickly. I'm thinking if I jump "c" & "d", then jump "a" & "b" I can get her running without the ignition switch to test operation.

Word of warning, don't put any extra items on your key so it hits your gas cap and makes the position of your key change!!! Thinking I might relocate that key!

I sure hope that when the machine was running (and I couldn't shut it off) and had to wait for it to stare for gas, that the overheating didn't do any damage....I thought the damn thing was going to catch on fire.....steam everywhere!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what is the voltage out put? did you have any extras on the power source where it was drawing too much current?

Old 05-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

no extras at all. I believe the metal tab inside my ignition switch failed and the brown (ground) arc'ed off a wire with voltage melting the brown down to the accessory connector, a three wire plug. I got the clip for that brown wire out of the clip holder (what a pain). Now just need to splice in the new section, soldier, heat shrink and test.

I'm more worried about how bad it overheated b/c I couldn't shut it off since the genious engineers at Polaris utilized the same circuit for both the key and kill switch.

Hopefully it's as minor as a wire splice and new ignition switch (hey, I needed a spare key anyways - comes with 2).

Old 05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Fancy....How you makin' out on this?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

looks to me like "c" and "d" go togetther and "e" and "f" are togetther for the switch. i know the brown wires are a ground.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by FunRide
Fancy....How you makin' out on this?
I spliced in the new "brown" wire and jumped "c" & 'd", checked everything, I now have all my handlebar controls back plus the speedo. Back to normal. Topped off my antifreeze and put the loom all back together (what a pain lol). Rerouted the wire loom away from the radiator better and up into the headlight pod. Just waiting on the new Ignition switch now.

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
looks to me like "c" and "d" go togetther and "e" and "f" are togetther for the switch. i know the brown wires are a ground.
Yeah thx. I jumped "A" & "B" and she started right up. Sounded just like normal. Let her run for awhile while I checked all switches, etc. Gear indicators and waited to see if my fan kicked on...it did. Looks like I'm good to go and now have to "hot wire" my machine in order to ride it until the ignition arrives via snail mail.

Thanks to all you guys who replied!!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
...... Just waiting on the new Ignition switch now.
Great work Fancy......Saved yourself some serious coin and learned a lot about the electrical system.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Range Rover

thx man...i will be an expert popo mechanic by the time i'm done! lol

Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

EVERYONE CALM DOWN lol

Just kidding, received the new ignition switch today...plugged it in and waaaaaalaaaaa.....she's purr'n like a kitten again. Also have a spare key!!!

Quick Reply: Brown Wire Burned on Ignition Switch