Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Engine help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010 | 04:29 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Engine help

2004 Polaris ATP 330, 4 stroke

Bought atv not running, only 178 miles on it and 12 hours. Good shape. It sat for over a year so I figured new carb rebuild and gas, oil looked new. Compression was 125. Rebuilt the carb, main jet was clogged. Started the atv and she stared right up after there carb build.
Motor was making rattle/slapping sound though. Finally gat it off the trailer this weekend to work on and started it and drove it about a hundred feet with the noise it was making and it had little power. Turned it off then tried to restart and engine was locked. ulled motor and topend looked REAL Good, I was supprised.
ALTHOUGH, the bottom connecting rod was froze up. Crank and bearing seemed fine. Any suggestions???????

THANK YOU

Old 05-09-2010 | 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about your problem but how the hell does a 6 year old machine only have 178 miles and 12 hours on it ? dam that's 2 days riding for me . That thing should be like new spotless how about some pictures .

Old 05-09-2010 | 07:40 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

makes you wonder if they sunk this and got water in the engine and drove it that way before they changed the oil?

Old 05-09-2010 | 09:14 PM
|
Range Rover

I know, I was kinda shocked as well, when I saw th odometer and hrs. Just a farm machine that got bought and was used around the timber for a short while and then new toys were bought and so it just sat forever. It is an atp and is designed for hauling stuff and it was bought for that,so it wasn't trail riden or taken far.
I havn't taken out the bottom end out completely yet, but does anyone have an opinion on should I just change out that rod bearing. Really the motor looks flippin new and clean. I was suprized when this happen.I was thinkin kinda the same thing as STENDORI. Weird though, cause looking at all the parts I have pulled, everything looks new.

Has anyone had a LOWER ROD BEARING go out on them. If so, were there any pre warning signs, and was there any other damage?

Old 05-09-2010 | 09:59 PM
|
Range Rover

Have done some research- pretty sure it was the lower rod bearing going out on the atv that I heard. Kinda worried though. Had it running for only for a minute getting it off the trailer and into the garage to start tearing it down. Never had it off the trailer before running, so just wanted to see what it would do in gear, that is the only reason for starting it.
Now- I'm affraid what might have happened to the crakshaft and rod since the rod on the lower end won't move now. Is it possible that the bearings welded themselves to the crank or just locked up? Urrrrrr!!
Thanks