Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electric issue it seems, Xplorer 500, help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric issue it seems, Xplorer 500, help

Hello, recently i've purchased a 1997 Xplorer 500, and she runs fine but when I had the battery checked, turned out to be dead.

Well now I have a new issue, I got a new battery, charged it, placed her in.. and now Something weird is going on.

The front lights dont turn on, even when she is running, Cept on low beams. The front right light turns on when its on low beams, but on high, nothing. The high beam indicator light doesn't come on either. Nor does my "Neutral" light. Nor does my back light, even when the brakes are pushed.

The AWD and Reverse come on, and the Reverse override works properly.

The starter is finiky too, I press "start" and i hear nothing. Not even a click.. I press again, and again, and again and all of a sudden she starts..

Now i'm not sure whats going on here

Doesn't work
-Starter button (sometimes it does)
-Front lights on High beams
-Only front left light on low beams
-High beam indicator light
-Neutral light

Does work
-Reverse light
-Starter button (sometimes)

I have 2 reds connected to positive, and 2 blacks on negative, plus a Green wire on black. They're on there good.

I have to mention too that when I had it on, I disconnected the old battery.. The front lights stayed on for the most part but when I rev'd the motor they went bright, flickered, then turned off. They wouldn't work at all but now the front right light works on low beams only.

Sorry if i'm dragging this on, but if you can throw a few suggestions my way that would be great. Not sure whats going on here, tempted to take her apart 100% and see if all the wiring is ok..

Thank you

Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default lights

sounds like you burnt the light bulbs out.I would check you bulbs and check to see if you have power to your starter when you push your start button.If you have power then starter probably needs rebuilt.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

When it had no battery in it it blew all the bulbs, the battery acts as a buffer in the charging system, without it the bulbs get too much voltage and they blow, take all the leads off of the selenoid, under left rear fender, make sure they are clean and tigthten the nuts that are under the battery cables, if that doesn't fix the starting, jump across the posts on the selenoid, if it starts right it needs a selenoid, if its still not right could be rhe starter needs brushes or cleaned or a new one...

Old 05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

K so the starter is fine, when i make contact with the wires (Skip the solenoid) she starts just perfectly

But that darn solenoid, is it supposed to be grounded somehow? When i rub it hard against metal sometimes it clicks.. and 90% of the time it don't..

Sounds like i just need a new solenoid?

Can it be any? Or does it have to be specific to this atv?

Thanks

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

i know what you're saying,like a ford style relay?? it's pretty tight fit you could try an old dodge 70's style relay that might work

Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think the right one is too expensive, call your stealer dealer and ask , you can also look it up on bike bandit