Polaris to close WI plant, move to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:26 AM
Range Rover

Sad news... I hate to hear it.

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

Must be to cut down on the shipping costs over the ocean for Yamaha to move here.

Old 05-21-2010 | 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good point MH!

I would rather buy a Japanese mfg part any day over Mexican built! Your right at least
Japan is helping to build our economy not take something away from it! If this is a
paridym change with Japan (More recent years with Toyota), then I support it, about
dang gone time! And Japan has proven its great superior workmanship of top quality.
I wonder now if all future owners (ATV's, SLEDS, Side by Sides) will now have to
pay another high Shipping freight on top of the price?

Mexico, I am sure is going to profit, Its a shame Polaris is following suit of other
Mfg. much like what most IT companies have with outsourcing to INDIA. I don't support
this at all! I hope Polaris is doing their math in the long term of happy customers
and in cost savings b/c when we all find out its laying off more of our "own" Americans
to only profit another foreign country (Mexico) it will have a negative impact!

I took alot of pride early on in saying my Polaris was North American made (You Canadians
don't count b/c your close enough! thats a compliment you know!) And not sure about you but anything made in MEXICO doesn't give me a warm fuzzy of QUALITY!

I hope Polaris doesn't continue to keep making more bad decisions!

Regards,

R'

Old 05-21-2010 | 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
And yet Yamaha moves it's full ATV operation to the USA!
Yamaha transferring all ATV production to United States
Part of the US Governments stand on offering tax incentives, like paying none to come across the Waters and set up shop!!

Old 05-21-2010 | 02:14 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Originally Posted by 02magnum500
Must be to cut down on the shipping costs over the ocean for Yamaha to move here.
I'd bet money they still try to charge the shipping costs if you don't watch the dealership.

Old 05-21-2010 | 03:09 PM

i bet most of you drive american vehicles and most of them are built in mexico. where do you think the hawkeye/sportsman 300 and 400 are made? if im not mistaken, its taiwan! (atleast some components) the 400 ho, 500 ho, and 550 are all fuji of japan engines, they're two strokes were robin... i dont agree with it either, but mostly because of the jobs

Old 05-21-2010 | 08:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i don't know why this should suprise anyone form any company is this country. i LOVE my country, but man the gov.(president) makes it too hard to keep alive in this country and or course is money hungry and can pay crap wages down there.

Old 05-21-2010 | 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

i live by roseau and have alot of personal friends and family that rely on polaris in this small town which would be a ghost town without it there. alot of you guys said exactly what i said would happen with this announcement, that you wanted to buy an atv that was desiged and build in the good ole usa and you would be pissed and go to a different brand. oseola from my understandings made the motors and did alot of welding there which is all being outsorced to the roseau, spirit lake and new mexico plants. when asked at a meeting yesterday what would happen if things got slow the big shots gave the answer that at that point we will just run one factory. now let me ask you this, are they going to close down the roseau factory? or the mexico one that costs less money to run? i don't ride polaris for my own personal reasons but if polaris is doing well then my friends and family are doing well so this basically pisses me off to see. i still want them to do well to keep the roseau factory open but i have seen that factory go in the dumpster the last 8 years and don't see things changing. a few years ago they let go a large number of their engineers and went with the younger, newer people who they don't have to pay as much. they gave these guys an ultimadum go on the line and maybe get your job back some day or take a severence pay. one of my co-workers now got this option and he took the severence. they went back and most employee's that haven't been there longer then 7 years got laid off last year and now they hired alot of them back but they lost their full time spot and got hired on west staff and now polaris don't have to pay them as much hourly and don't have to give them time off and don't pay insurance. this all started back when tom tiller was in charge and it is getting worse. i like how they offered all 550 oseola workers the opportunity to appy for a job at one of the other factories or take a severence pay. think anyone is going to apply in the mexican plant?

Old 05-21-2010 | 09:01 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 02magnum500
Or maybe to get around the import weight and hp restrictions.

Old 05-21-2010 | 09:05 PM
Djk
Range Rover

man that blows, i'm taking a snapshot of polaris from this decade, compared to the next few years, i got a sour taste in my mouth

Quick Reply: Polaris to close WI plant, move to Mexico